Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Goldtop '56 - Pickguard

Skovgaard

Greetings from Denmark!

I am a new member, so handle with care.

As the subject states, I am in need of a pickguard for my Goldtop.

The guitar is a chinese model, and it is simple impossible to track down a new pickguard for it.

I have bought two off eBay so far.

The first one was for a Gibson Goldtop. My bad, lesson learnt.

The next one was apparently for a Korean model, which does not fit a Chinese, which neither the seller and I knew...

And know I refuse to throw any more money out the window.

So any help? Or is there anyone who just has one laying around I could take of their hands?

Kind regards,

-p

Velkommen til forummet.[lol]

(Continuing in English, so everybody will understand)

It seems pretty odd that a Korean pickguard won't fit a Chinese guitar - I know the factories make guitars slightly different, but I didn't know that it was such a huge difference.

Anyway, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. If everything else fails, I know there's one making custom pickguards.

Jamen hej og tak.

And thank you for the quick reply.

Well, the seller on eBay told me that he assumed that my guitar came from another factory than his pickguards.

Anywho, I will ship it back to him, no problem.

Thank you for your positivity, I may have to take you up on that custom thing, in case no others have any ideas.

-p

Velkommen til forummet.[lol]

(Continuing in English' date=' so everybody will understand)

It seems pretty odd that a Korean pickguard won't fit a Chinese guitar - I know the factories make guitars slightly different, but I didn't know that it was such a huge difference.

Anyway, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. If everything else fails, I know there's one making custom pickguards.[/quote']

You can always do what I did. Mine (Allparts) was cut for Gibson...needless to say it didn't fit, so I took some jeweler's files I had bangin' around, and MADE it fit by filing it to fit around the pickup rings. The whole job took about 20 minutes to do, and now I have a pickguard to take off and put back on the guitar when the mood strikes me. Oh, where are my manners? Welcome aboard!

Hello there, and thank you!

Nice job on your pickguard, I would like to see a picture of it sometime. Great looking guitar btw!

Unfortunately, my pickguard is 3 cm to wide to fit, in the gap between the two P-90s, so it's kindda hard to cut anything off and making it look good.

Kind regards,

-p

You can always do what I did. Mine (Allparts) was cut for Gibson...needless to say it didn't fit' date=' so I took some jeweler's files I had bangin' around, and MADE it fit by filing it to fit around the pickup rings. The whole job took about 20 minutes to do, and now I have a pickguard to take off and put back on the guitar when the mood strikes me. Oh, where are my manners? Welcome aboard![/quote']

Thank you.

I may just do that.

But I am hoping to find an original pickguard. If this is not possible, then I will have to look in other directions...

Kind regards,

-p

You should talk to fellow forum member TWANG. He can make anything out of anything. Seriously' date=' he's very good. Send him a PM and he can probably help you out.

[/quote']

Thank you for the pictures! It looks great.

I did some further research:

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China

February 2008

Production Number: 03176

That is what Guitar Dater Project tells me about my guitar.

So it checks out right? And the guitar is authentic?

The reason for my sudden doubt is that none of the two pickguards matched my guitar, and I can't find any Epi Goldtop that looks exactly like mine.

I have compiled a short GIF to go along with this.

First image is the standard seller image of an Epi Goldtop.

Second image is of my guitar. (Knobs and toggle plate have been changed by me)

goldtop.gif

Notice the bridge pickup being placed differently?

Is this only on the Chinese model? It seems unlikely that no other Goldtop on GooglePics looks like mine...

Kind regards,

-p

And the guitar is authentic?

There's a number of things indicating wether a guitar is fake or not.

For example:

1. Check the headstock and compare it to guitars you know are authentic. Does the Epiphone-logo look too skewed?
  2. Compare the volume and tone knobs (both position and colour) to authentic guitars.
  3. Check the truss rod cover. If it touches the "diamond"' date=' it might be fake. [i'](Not applicable to you)[/i]

The thing I'm concerned about is the finish - It seems more "flaky"/"glitterly" than the seller's image. [cool]

Hello again Rene.

Yes, I have checked the "top three" of fake signs. And everything looks good...the logo, the knobs, bots position and colour.

The finish is really glittery, but I have taken the picture with flash. Just looking at it know, it doesn't look that glittery at all.

It just that darn positioning of the bridge pickup...

Kind regards,

-p

There's a number of things indicating wether a guitar is fake or not.

For example:

1. Check the headstock and compare it to guitars you know are authentic. Does the Epiphone-logo look too skewed?
  2. Compare the volume and tone knobs (both position and colour) to authentic guitars.
  3. Check the truss rod cover. If it touches the "diamond"' date=' it might be fake. [i'](Not applicable to you)[/i]

The thing I'm concerned about is the finish - It seems more "flaky"/"glitterly" than the seller's image. :-k

I agree that bridge pickup location looks wrong. The thing that puzzles me is, if it is fake and they got the more difficult stuff right like the logo, you would think something easy like the pickup placement would be right. Aside from the looks, that pickup location is going to make the guitar sound different than it should.

Where did you get the guitar? New or used?

Exactly, that's what I thought, the placing would be the last thing to get wrong.

Actually, the guitar sounds great to me! I'm using the neck pickup more than then bridge, so it doesn't effect the sound as much as it could. Also, the location of the pickup makes this pickguard-issue a toughy too!

I bought the guitar via eBay, from a seller who had sold lots of guitars and had 100% positive feedback.

The guitar was new, in box, with tags, book and everything. It was also shipped from the UK.

Kind regards,

-p

I agree that bridge pickup location looks wrong. The thing that puzzles me is' date=' if it is fake and they got the more difficult stuff right like the logo, you would think something easy like the pickup placement would be right. Aside from the looks, that pickup location is going to make the guitar sound different than it should.

Where did you get the guitar? New or used?[/quote']

Oh, they didn't advertise that. I just used the sentence "standard seller image" in the sense, that every internet-store I have visited, uses that picture of the Epi Goldtop.

Unfortunately, I don't have the photos they used in their auction, but they were their own photos.

Kind regards,

-p

I just noticed that the first image is a standard seller image. Personally' date=' I would send it back because it clearly doesn't match what they advertised.[/quote']

Archived