Gibson Brands Forums

LP Tuning Machines

tflanster

I spent about an hour on the 'net yesterday looking at Epi/Gibson LP tuners. The range of prices for what are, cosmetically at least, the same tuner, is amazing. Some sites sell "Kluson's" ranging from about $100 for 3 & 3 to as little as $50. I saw some "original" Gibsons for about $70 and some for much less. The reviews for those were pretty dismal.

So, what's the deal on direct drop-in replacement machines for the older LP's? The boxy shaped ones? Are some great and some not so great? For example, one comparison I made was between Same Day Music and GC. SDM was way cheaper, and free shipping besides. There are many others. And to add some confusion to the mix, there are some that are already "aged", or used appearing.

You wanna laugh? Go on ebay, and look at the Klusens supposedly off a '59 for 700 dollars, or waffle tuners off a Custom of the same year for 400 dollars, you have GOT to be kidding. I won't even get into the tailpieces and pickguards.

If you want a Kluson style tuner that's a drop in replacement for the stock Grovers on most Epiphones, then try a set of Wilkinsons. You can pick up a set for just over $20 on EBay, and they're fantastic. Don't let the price fool you into thinking they're cheap rubbish, they're far from it. Every bit as good as the much more expensive ones.

You may want to check out the tuners at guitar fetish........................markerdown

Yeah, I looked there and at a few other places. Cracks me up - $20.00 for 6 machines, $8.00 - $9.00 shipping. All they have to do is stick them in an envelope and drop them in the mail for a couple bucks. But that's how sellers make a nice dollar. Low sell price, ridiculous shipping price.

Even worse, I recently bought a $3.00 item that cost me $9.00. They charged shipping and sales tax. The sales tax charge was illegal. The company does not have a footprint - a building, in CA, but they charged CA sales tax. I asked about it. They said it was the law. No it isn't, I said. Even if it was, how would you know what rate to charge? They said check with your State Tax authority. I did. No tax required. I sent them a copy of the law. No response. So there's another way to get screwed.

I'm telling you the Wilkinsons are the way to go. Better quality than the no name GFS ones, low price, and shipping is just $5US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkinson-Deluxe-Tuners-Vintage-Bell-CHROME-3-3_W0QQitemZ390164855435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad7a33a8b#shId

I bought a set from that seller, as have several others on this forum. Direct replacement for the Grovers on my Les Paul. Needed some conversion bushings though, which were just a bouple of bucks from my local supplier.

Do it!

Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

Archived