Gibson Brands Forums

Help rewiring epi les paul

A-Unit

Hi, I posted these questions on 2 different forums but no one seems to answer. I need help rewiring my epi les paul. I have no idea how to rewire it because the wiring i have now is a funky chinese way. I want to do this because i am going to change my pots so i might as well rewire it. My goal is to get the 50's wiring on there but i have a few problems.

attachment.php?attachmentid=87874

1. I have 4 wires clumped together and 1 green wire coming out from the side. I know that the green wire is connected to the tailpiece studs and grounded out to my neck volume pot. However there is only 4 wires left and the 50's wiring diagram shows there are 5 wires. I should have 2 wires from the pickups (i have red and black), 2 wires from the toggle switch (i have white and gray) and then a wire going to the jack. For some reason the gray wire from the switch goes to the jack and then only the white wire is going to the neck volume pot. So what do i connect to the bridge volume pot?

attachment.php?attachmentid=87875

attachment.php?attachmentid=87877

2. Each of my wires have 2 wires inside them. For example, my red wire has a wire that goes to my pot and then a white wire inside that that splits and goes to ground. This is the same with my black, gray, and white wires, except the gray wire goes to the jack (the wire splits and 1 goes to the right and 1 goes to the left onto the lugs). My question is, is this normal? and should i also connect it the same way on the 50's wiring? (1 wire to the pot and 1 to ground)

attachment.php?attachmentid=87876

So my big problem is how do I wire my guitar the 50's way like in the diagram. My wiring looks nothing like it and it seems as if i don't have enough wires. I was even starting to think that i would have to get new pups. It would be great if i could avoid this because im fine with the pups i have now.

If someone could give me like instructions on which wires to connect where, that would be great. I hope someone answers these questions this time. I really need your help!

The only leads you will not be replacing are the pickup leads. Other than those, toss out EVERYTHING, don't worry about how it was, and wire it the way you want it to be (i.e. 50s style). Use this opportunity to use high quality shielded wire for all you long runs, and a good interconnect for the rest. Use just enough to reach, keep your leads dressed neat and it will sound better as well as look tidy.

Ok but if i connect a wire to my jack, which lug should i connect it to and what should i do to the other lug?(ground maybe, but where is ground on the jack?) Also where should i connect the wire coming from the jack to? the pups or somethin? i have no clue because as i said before the jack goes to my switch but if i move the switch wire to the pots what to i do with the jack wire? I hope you know what i mean.

Hey, thanks a lot proffett. I just opened your link because i couldn't open it at school and it pretty much answered all of my questions. The problem with wiring diagrams is they only show the pots. This diagram showed how the switch and jack were wired so it helped a lot. thanks guys!

Archived