Gibson Brands Forums

Good Es-175 books?

SamBooka

Actually looking for more info on ES165s.I am (hopefully) picking up a 96 next week.

I am actually thinking of updating the stub on Wikipedia and want as much as I can find.

There is a paragraph in the Ingram book. Archtop.com has a blurb. I am just wondering

how much HE was involved in it. They have said that it is based on his early 50s 175 with a P90 upgraded to a PAF (well HE thought it was an upgrade :). Since I dont think there is much in terms of direct comparisons between the recent 165 vs 175 I am getting as much info as I can.

The early 90s 165 had a big "jazz neck"? This changed in 2004 when they went to the JS pickup.

Recent 175/165s are laminated flamed maple/poplar/maple. The 50s models were plain maple/bassword/maple

You get the picture...

BTW Nice Zeph. I almost bought one last year. It sounded sooo warm and dark. I was worried it would be too much so.

I played Epi 295/175/Emp Reg and two different Gibby 175s. It was the one that stuck out :)

BTW Nice Zeph. I almost bought one last year. It sounded sooo warm and dark. I was worried it would be too much so.

I played Epi 295/175/Emp Reg and two different Gibby 175s. It was the one that stuck out :)

Yeah, that's the Mahogany back and sides. Not very many Jazz boxes are made like these.

Plugged in with the right pup, not as dark.

Archived