Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Set-up

rdsmith3

I went to a guitar set-up clinic last night, and learned how to do it myself. There were 8 or 9 of us in this clinic, with all sorts of guitars. We took the strings off, cleaned and oiled the fret board, tightened the tuning machines, installed new strings, checked the neck and adjusted the truss rod, and adjusted intonation. My neck was dead straight, so I actually had to give it a 1/4 turn of relief to cure some mild fret buzzing. I also adjusted intonation just slightly on two strings. The action was fine. I put on some new DR Blues 10-46 strings. Everything feels really good on this guitar. since the day I got it, it has just felt like it was meant to be in my hands.

All in all, it was money well spent. also, my Dot seemed to get the most compliments from the group. It is a fine looking guitar.

The bad news is that I currently do not have a time or place to play my electric guitar. Our finished basement flooded badly over the weekend. I had my office/guitar room down there. I saved my guitars and amps, but now I am busy cleaning up (e.g. removing 1,250 sq. ft. of carpet and padding).

I also learned that a "bedroom" amp is not literally that. My wife wants no part of that in the bedroom.

Cool on the setup note! BUMMER on the basement!

We used to practice in this wet old basement when I lived up north, had to stand on pallets cause when it rained you could watch the water run in! LOL Good old days!

So what did it cost for the clinic you went to?

Cool on the setup note! BUMMER on the basement!

We used to practice in this wet old basement when I lived up north' date=' had to stand on pallets cause when it rained you could watch the water run in! LOL Good old days!

So what did it cost for the clinic you went to?[/quote']

the clinic cost me $55, which also included a set of strings, a tuning knob winder, a set of little screw drivers, and a canvas tote bag.

Money well spent as now you will forever be able to do your own setups for only the cost of strings!

I do my own setup and have pretty good luck, but am still not sure how good I am about truss rods so I usually don't mess with that. Any pointers from the class on adjusting the truss? I am sure there is much I still don't know about setting up an electric.

The guy who ran this clinic just eyeballed the neck, and then he invited us to look at each others' guitars to see if we saw what he saw. On my own, I would measure. He is the artistic type; I am more of an analytical type.

But, I could see be looking at the tops of the frets that my neck looked as straight as a ruler, and I knew I had some mild fret buzzing, so it made sense to me that it needed a bit of relief. I was glad to have a person there to reassure me so that I did not turn it the wrong way and really screw it up.

I also learned that a "bedroom" amp is not literally that. My wife wants no part of that in the bedroom.

Well, if you and your wife do not agree what "bedroom amp" is supposed to mean there are two waus to go.

You can press the issue and play it in the bedroom anyway (at which your bedroom will fast turn into just HER bedroom).

Or you can decide you may some day wish to have sex again and do the manly thing, fold like a house of cards and do exactly what she tells you.

It's ok, it's been a known fact since that first "hey Adam, why not eat that apple" that we just cant win that type of argument.

For me, my wife gave me an ultimatum. Stop playing that ***** guitar or I leave.

Well, maybe I should have said... my ex-wife gave me an ultimatum. Think I'll get another guitar.....

I do my own setup and have pretty good luck' date=' but am still not sure how good I am about truss rods so I usually don't mess with that. Any pointers from the class on adjusting the truss? I am sure there is much I still don't know about setting up an electric. [/quote']

Here's a link to how I've been setting up my axes for 20+ years;

Setup Question

Well' date=' if you and your wife do not agree what "bedroom amp" is supposed to mean there are two waus to go.

You can press the issue and play it in the bedroom anyway (at which your bedroom will fast turn into just HER bedroom).

Or you can decide you may some day wish to have sex again and do the manly thing, fold like a house of cards and do exactly what she tells you.

It's ok, it's been a known fact since that first "hey Adam, why not eat that apple" that we just cant win that type of argument.

For me, my wife gave me an ultimatum. Stop playing that ***** guitar or I leave.

Well, maybe I should have said... my ex-wife gave me an ultimatum. Think I'll get another guitar.....[/quote']

you sir are hilarious[biggrin]

Archived