Gibson Brands Forums

LP Neck and Bridge set up

tflanster

While cleaning and polishing my LP, for some stupid reason I cranked the bridge p.u. up so far that it hit the strings. I didn't notice it until while tuning the guitar, it wouldn't. I got online and found that the bridge P.U. is set at the factory to about 2 - 3 mm from the top of the P.U. to the bottom of the strings. I reset the bridge P.U. to about 2 1/2 mm. "About" cuz I couldn't find my feeler gauges so I used a steel ruler and eyeball. It works o.k.

I noticed there's nothing about the neck P.U. setting. Its set pretty far away from the strings (or vice versa I suppose). So, is there some starting point for the distance, string to P.U. for the bridge? I realize its eventually a matter of personal choice but it seems to me that there should be a place to start. What do the "experts" think.

Thanks.

You can't taste paint to determine the color, why would you use anything but your ears to determine what sounds good. A little secret, I use my ears for things like that and get paid well for it. I never set PU heigth by measuring, only my ears. Each guitar and player is different and needs their own set up specs.

While cleaning and polishing my LP' date=' for some stupid reason I cranked the bridge p.u. up so far that it hit the strings. [/quote']

Just wondering..... how does one crank the bridge pup up while just cleaning/polishing ??? Do you, like, remove every part from the guitar or something ??? A simple regular wipedown works for me...... changing pup ht requires a screwdriver adjustment, no? I don't get it.... but, I work nights and am always sleep deprived, so, pay no mind to my musings...

Just wondering..... how does one crank the bridge pup up while just cleaning/polishing ??? Do you' date=' like, remove every part from the guitar or something ??? A simple regular wipedown works for me...... changing pup ht requires a screwdriver adjustment, no? I don't get it.... but, I work nights and am always sleep deprived, so, pay no mind to my musings...[/quote']

It occurred during a string change. Some of the chrome was looking a little cheesy, so I removed the strings and polished the chrome. Took some screws out cuz they were really cruddy looking. I cleaned them up with Turtlewax chrome cleaner and put them back in. Tightened them down. Then, stupidly, I cranked down the pickup screw on the low e string side. Didn't even think about it until I put new strings on and began tuning. So then I reset the P.U. to what is indicated on Epi's site. I suppose I could have been more explicit, but I was looking for some other information.

You can't taste paint to determine the color' date=' why would you use anything but your ears to determine what sounds good. A little secret, I use my ears for things like that and get paid well for it. I never set PU heigth by measuring, only my ears. Each guitar and player is different and needs their own set up specs.[/quote']

Well gee whiz, why didn't I think of that? It would have been so simple, particularly when I have such acute hearing. Wow! Or OTOH, maybe my hearing isn't so great, or maybe I don't have the experience to find a place to start, or any other number of things. I just asked for some dimensions. If you don't have them, then thanks for the kind thoughts. I'll be sure to note them down for further perusal.

Now, when you're doing it without benefit of mechanical devices, where do you start the string heights? 1 little mm, 3 little mm's? Where? All I asked for was a starting guideline, some kind of measurement. Gotta start somewhere, Amigo. Epi recommends about 2 - 3 mm at the bridge. O.K. that's where I started. The neck is something else.

Thanks for sharing your professional "I get paid well for it" advice. I truly appreciate it. No doubt others on the forum will heed and cherish the learning experience.

At the risk of getting a nasty response like Muskiron did, I will give you my opinion. (At least it sounded a bit nasty...apologies if I am wrong).

I dont know many players who use rulers and/or feeler guages to measure pickup height. Most of the time, players take their time and tweak the height to what sounds good....just like Muskiron said.

It would be a good starting point-if you want to use tools- to begin at factory spec. Measure the height from the top of the polepiece to the string. Then adjust from there. I never have my pickups as high as factory spec- always lower.

The first thing I do is adjust the polepieces to the radius of the strings. Then, on a clean channel with all guitar pots turned to 10, I adjust the pickups down so that I am happy with the volume level and tone from each. The neck will always be a louder tone, because the strings have more room to vibrate. At the bridge pickup, the strings are closer to the bridge so their ability to "move" as they vibrate isnt as much. So, on my guitars anyway, the neck pickup is much lower.

Set the faces of the pups even with the mounting rings. Raise the bridge pup till it sounds right, then adjust the neck so that the volumes are about equal. Then adjust your pole pieces to follow the radius of the bridge and fingerboard. Done.

Set the faces of the pups even with the mounting rings. Raise the bridge pup till it sounds right' date=' then adjust the neck so that the volumes are about equal. Then adjust your pole pieces to follow the radius of the bridge and fingerboard. Done.[/quote']

Well played Musikron. I think that shows some class by not retaliating to such a nasty response.

At the risk of getting a nasty response like Muskiron did' date=' I will give you my opinion. (At least it sounded a bit nasty...apologies if I am wrong).

I dont know many players who use rulers and/or feeler guages to measure pickup height. Most of the time, players take their time and tweak the height to what sounds good....just like Muskiron said.

It would be a good starting point-if you want to use tools- to begin at factory spec. Measure the height from the top of the polepiece to the string. Then adjust from there. I never have my pickups as high as factory spec- always lower.

The first thing I do is adjust the polepieces to the radius of the strings. Then, on a clean channel with all guitar pots turned to 10, I adjust the pickups down so that I am happy with the volume level and tone from each. The neck will always be a louder tone, because the strings have more room to vibrate. At the bridge pickup, the strings are closer to the bridge so their ability to "move" as they vibrate isnt as much. So, on my guitars anyway, the neck pickup is much lower.

[/quote']

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I did get a little torqued at that response. After all, I just asked a simple question and I got a lecture. As I said earlier, you have to start from somewhere and I wanted to know where. That's why I wanted some kind of dimension. I must admit that I have not mucked about with the pickups on any of my guitars, just the saddles for intonation and height. So, I'm a neophyte at adjusting pickups. I have the bridge P.U. set pretty much o.k. now. And I'm looking at the neck P.U. Once again, I'm seeing a really large gap between the top of the P.U. and the bottom of the strings. It seems to sound o.k. too, and I know that I can move it easily. Guess I won't mess with it - your answer makes sense.

Thanks again. Ah 'preciate it!

Set the faces of the pups even with the mounting rings. Raise the bridge pup till it sounds right' date=' then adjust the neck so that the volumes are about equal. Then adjust your pole pieces to follow the radius of the bridge and fingerboard. Done.[/quote']

Ah! Good! Even I can understand that. I'll give it a go. Sorry for the snippy response earlier. Thanks muchly.

thanks for the info musikron just spent a wee while setting the pole pieces to the radius of the neck on my lp and sg400 , i'll wait till it's a bit later to plug them in and sort out the hights , i just set them at the factory spec for now :) thanks again

Alan

Archived