Gibson Brands Forums

SG 400 Rewire set-up advice ?!

Strhessed

Hey everyone. First post here.

I just ordered an Epiphone SG-400 today and a Seymour Duncan SH4 JB for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH2 for the neck. Now I also want to completely re-wire the guitar including new pots, switch, etc. Can anyone direct me to a website where I can buy a kit or the components ? Also, what size (dimension wise) pots do I need to ensure they fit the SG and what ohm should I go for ? I play metal and tune down B to B and use a Boss Metal Zone pedal for a thick bottom heavy tone (if that helps to recommend parts). Also, should I line the inside of the wiring cavity with the copper tape or whatever to kill noise ? Any and all help is very appreciated as this will be my first time re-wiring.

THANKS

Welcome to the forum!

If you're using humbuckers, which you are, use 500K ohm pots. Google guitar wiring kits and you'll find many more!

And any shielding you can add will help. Be sure to change out the wiring with some good quality braided wire!

Here's just a few links:

Specialty Guitars

RS Guitar Works

AllParts

StewMac

They'll fit, but I believe you will have to enlarge the holes for the pots as the stockers are metric and the CTS pots are standard size. Not a big deal though. Well worth the effort! Oh, and don't forget to purchase the proper knobs because the original ones won't fit the CTS shafts.

How old is the guitar?

My G400 pots are perfectly fine after years of use and It's not like they effect the tone. If they're not noisy when you turn them why change them? that said a quick squirt of contact cleaner or isopropyl Alcohol will usually restore a noisy pot.

I ended up ordering the above kit (the tech assured me the pots would fit no problem, but they needed to swap out the switch for a right angle one) along with all the copper shielding, braided shielded wiring, a replacement graphite nut (I have read that the plastic nut tends to keep the SG from staying in tune). I figured I may as well do it all while I have the money. Besides, I haven't bought a new guitar in 10 years !!!

Archived