Gibson Brands Forums

Advice. Pickup change?

lyubenski

First I want to say : Hi to all epiphone lovers [blink].

I have my Epi Standard Plus for more than 2 years now and i haven't changed a single part in it, but recently i started thinking about upgrading the hardware and especially the pickups. I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have experience with some of the pickups that i am looking for. I play most of the time blues and classic rock. So my first ideas are :

Seymour Duncan Pro Alnico 2 - neck & bridge ( Slash models)

Seymour Duncan 59 model ( neck ) & SD JB ( bridge )

Burstbucker 2 ( neck) & Burstbucker 3 ( bridge )

Seymour Duncan 59 model ( neck ) & Gibson 57 classic

Those are just some of the ideas that i have. If you have any advice it is more than welcome [crying]. Also as you can see I am looking for low to medium output. Thanks in advance.

Hi, again I am very happy that i found the forum it looks great. About the amp I have a Marshall JCM 900 4101 Dual Reverb and I am happy with the sound of it. One of the problem with my stock pickups are that even when i lower the neck and rise the bridge pickup i still cannot match their volume. I guess the neck has higher output.

Well, all these you're mentioned man are great pickups. Take your time and listen to some soundclips / videos on the manufacturer's sites, on youtube, etc. It all comes down to personal preference.

Do you play any metal or not (something tells me that you do), the Seymour Duncan JB will serve you well, but I would also consider the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (one of the best out there).

If you are more blues-oriented, many people swear by the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, that it's the best pickup for a Les Paul.

I have a BB Pro in my Gibson Studio and I'm happy with it.

For the neck, the Seymour Duncan Jazz and the Gibson '57 Classic are my 2 favourites.

But I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the above. It comes down to what YOU like.

good luck man.

I have the Epi SG & I'm also looking for pickups. I'm more interested in the blues sound at this point. I really like the sound bytes for the Pearly Gates bridge. I was leaning that way until........ I listened to a few YouTube videos for the P-Rails. I'm now sold on the P-Rails. Take a look at a video by someone named lyongraulty (I think). He's playing awsome slide guitar on a flat-top LP with the P-Rails. The P90 tones are great. The SC tones are there too, especially if you play Clapton or Stevie Ray or any style blues. It also has the classic HB tones anytime you want them. Very worth your time. There are at least 3 videos from this guy. The one labled P-Rails Demo Part I is the best.

You should also view the Twin Tube Blues video on the Duncan Web Site. I'm sold on the clean bluesy sound of this box. I'm not impressed by the overdrive sound (the Twin Tube Classic has a better overdriven sound), but I want the Twin Tube Blues clean tone as the foundation for my sound. I can't wait to get this box & add the P-Rails in my SG.

Good Luck

First I want to say : Hi to all epiphone lovers [cool].

I have my Epi Standard Plus for more than 2 years now and i haven't changed a single part in it' date=' but recently i started thinking about upgrading the hardware and especially the pickups. I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have experience with some of the pickups that i am looking for. I play most of the time blues and classic rock. So my first ideas are :

Seymour Duncan Pro Alnico 2 - neck & bridge ( Slash models)

Seymour Duncan 59 model ( neck ) & SD JB ( bridge )

Burstbucker 2 ( neck) & Burstbucker 3 ( bridge )

Seymour Duncan 59 model ( neck ) & Gibson 57 classic

Those are just some of the ideas that i have. If you have any advice it is more than welcome [confused. Also as you can see I am looking for low to medium output. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I recently switched to the JB/Jazz combination in my Epi LP and I'm very pleased with the results. If you play with the volume and tone controls on the guitar you could cover just about any genre with these pickups.

I made a youtube video for comparison. Feel free to have a look.

Alan

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived