Gibson Brands Forums

1966 G400 - Standard VS Faded Cherry

stux

Hi all, this is my first post [cool] I did a quick forum search but didn't find what I was after.

I've been thinking about getting a G400 for a while now and finally settled on the 1966 cherry. I was all set to go try it out and probably buy it tomorrow.

I was looking around some websites tonight and saw there was a faded 1966 G400 that actually costs £110 less than the standard! Is this price difference purley down to the finish? I prefer the standard but I don't think I can justify spending that much extra on it!

Here are the links to the two guitars in question.

Standard 1966

Faded 1966

Thanks in advance..

Hey welcome to the forum. As far as I know, both of the SG's you mentioned are the same with the exception of the finish. Were you going to buy it new or used? I would recommend trying to find a used one in good condition if you could. The reason being that some of the older SG's have the cream binding on the neck just like the Gibson SG's. They are a little more desireable like that. It doesn't make it sound any different its just easier on the eyes if you know what I mean. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum

Yes, I believe that the finish is the only difference. Just like the only difference between the standard G400 and the 1966 is the pickguard. But no matter which you choose, I think you'll be happy with it - I certainly love my 1966 G400.

I compared many G-400s & the Prophecy SG before I bought one. I bought the Limited Edition/Custom Shop G-400 version. I think the LE/CS & satin finish compare very well. They have the same components & details. The only difference being the satin vs gloss finish & the color choices. I found the build quality of the LE/CS version to be much better that's why I bought it over the satin version. I preferred the satin neck. It's very smooth & fast. The gloss is a little slower, but not much. The neck carve is the same on both models. The fretboard inlays are white on the gloss finished G-400s but cream/gold on the satin finish. I also found the satin finish unappealing visually overall. Here the price difference was only $50 so I decided to go with the gloss. I originally had thoughts of refinishing the neck in satin for playability. But after playing it for a few days realized that gloss finish would be fine if I can keep it as smooth and slick as it was the day I bought it. So far so good.

Good Luck.

Cheers for the replies guys. I'm going to go down the epiphone dealer tomorrow and try the standard 1966 out, they have my amp in store too (vox vt) so I can get a good idea of the sound compared to my current guitar (cort G-series) and put it through it's paces with the amp settings I like to use. The nearest 1966 faded is the other end of the country, so I'll compare the finish of the standard g400 and worn g400 and make my mind up on that. I think I'm leaning towards the standard finish anyway.

I'll post a pic of whichever one I get in the next week. Thanks again for the help, spent hours searching the net and this place was the only site that gave me the answers. Think I may just stick around [biggrin]

Just one caveat. I saw a variety of Epi SGs on a trip to the store today and they had one worn brown which looked nice but another paler looking one which, on close inspection, looked artificial and very much like a stained garden fence. If you're thinking of ordering online I'd advise you to be be cautious because of the potential variability with these.

From your link DV247 don't appear to have the glossy 1966 one in stock but don't rule out the regular G400 with the semi pick guard. Get them to price match Thomann and bag yourself a black one for £224.03 or a cherry one with a gig bag for £242.02 . They say they match European prices and have free delivery over £199. Go for it!

Archived