Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone pr-500-n acoustic??????

wyatt

A quick call to Customer Service can probably solve this, but I think that the AJ-500 line was intially tagged PR-300-SM ("Solid Mahogany") and PR-300-SR ("Solid Rosewood") when it first hit the stores, and the DR-500 was originally tagged PR-500 - much like the "Elite"/"Elitist" and "J-165"/"CJ-165."

A quick call to Customer Service can probably solve this' date=' but I think that the AJ-500 line was intially tagged PR-300-SM ("Solid Mahogany") and PR-300-SR ("Solid Rosewood") when it first hit the stores, and the DR-500 was originally tagged PR-500 - much like the "Elite"/"Elitist" and "J-165"/"CJ-165." [/quote']

No, they are different guitars. The PR 300s had french heels, cheaper tuners, different pickgaurds, gloss finish, different headstocks, etc.

They had 6 strings, though : )

Red 333

"PR" series: Post Norlin ownership, pre "DR" series. Replaced the Norlin "FT" series. Dates, I'm unsure of. Some say "PR" stood for Presentation.

"500" would indicate an upper level model

"n" indicates natural (not bursted) top.

Plug the serial number into: http://guitardaterproject.org/

Be sure to select "Epiphone" on the landing page.

Let us know what you find out y'all. We are all learning here.

• 1 month later...

I own a PR500, gifted to me more than a couple of decades ago.

Thanks to TommyK providing the link to guitardaterproject, sure enough, it was produced in 1985.

I can't find any search results as to its potential value, which I was in the process of doing when I stumbled upon this forum.

I assumed it was priced back then in $100-$150 range.

The case substantiates that, as what I refer to as cardboard-styled hard case with felt-like lining.

That said, it still sounds pretty good, with rosewood back (not solid) & sides, and what appears to be a darkened spruce top.

It was my first acoustic, so it was mainly for learning/practicing, but I still pull it out every now and then for finger strengthening exercises.

That may give some insight into its action, eh?

My apologies I could not be more helpful. I'm gifting mine to a friend this weekend and just thought I'd do a search for its value, to no avail.

• 1 month later...

I was just given a PR 500 as a gift from my mother-in-law. Her dad bought it overseas, she thought in the 70's. I entered my serial number guitardaterproject.com, but it did not recognize it. It has only 7 numbers.

I saw a PR 400 on ebay, which looks very similar. It was listed as being made in 1985.

• 2 years later...

The Epi PR-500 was made from the early 80s till 1988. The PR name was used before DR was used. Its pretty much the same guitar but its just a name change. The PR500 is a very well built guitar with a warm tone. It sounds alot like the Dove series guitar. Read the Wikipedia page for Epiphone. All your answers are there. Ive personally owned 3 of the PR series and currently have a 1984 PR-500, 2009 Hummingbird, 1993 PR-350, 2009 Epiphone Les Paul Standard, 2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio, 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom and a beater Ibanez RG. by far Epis are almost in everyway built as well as their Gibson cousins.

Archived