Gibson Brands Forums

not sure!!!

jamesroden

Musikron must be mixing the '64 Cortez up with another model, maybe something from the early '70s.

Your Cortez was built by Gibson in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and is similar to the Gibson B-25 model, which in itself is a derrivative of the LG 2 and LG 3 (which was the natural finish model). Gibson changed the name of the LG 2 and 3 to B-25 in 1963, and gave them a slimmer neck. The headstock angle also changed from 17 degrees to 14 degrees that year.

$800 is not unreasonable for a '60s Cortez, depending on condition. I've seen them sell for $1600 or more in excellent + condition, but $800-$1200 seems to be about the average price.

"Cortez" is actually a name carried over from the days before Gibson bought Epiphone in 1958. The version the pre-Gibson Epiphone company made had its own body style. After Epiphone's sale to Gibson, Gibson retained the name Cortez, but assigned it to the LG 2/B-25 body style.

These are nice guitars and are becoming very sought after. Post some pictures of it when you get a chance.

Red 333

I'm inclined to agree with Red 333 on this one.

Assuming it is in playable condition with no structural or glaring cosmetic issues, $800.00 sounds reasonable. Getting someone, in the current economy, to buy it is another thing. For that kind of coin, put on a set of new strings... splurge for some good ones, not a cheapo set. Tone is everything and the buyer's first chord could make or break the sale.

Caveat emptor here. Make sure it is, indeed, a 1960's FT45 Cortez and neither the Norlin era FT145 'Texan' nor the FT130 'Cortez'. Neither of the latter two have any resemblance to a bonafide FT45 Cortez. Unscrupulous sellers of these Norlins have, numerous times, tried to passed these off as the older 1960's Epiphone models. The Norlins would be worth .... in the $100 - $200 range.

Could have sworn that I had answered this post before and now find that it was a double post if you look at the other post that I answered I think your better off to post it witha vintage dealer instead of trying to sell it your self, all it takes it the right buyer and you can make yourself a few dollars if the shape is excellent.Ship

I was at the Dallas International Guitar Festival today. I saw several '60s LG-2's, LG-3's, and Epiphone Cortezes being offered in the $1400-$1600 range. There was a MINT (literally new, old stock found a storeroom) '68 Cortez with a $2400 asking price.

Red 333

Archived