Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of truss rod cover should I have for my Les Paul Goldtop?

smallteapot

Hello all, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I'm trying to verify that my goldtop is genuine. I've had it for about 6 years, but not knowing a great deal about guitars, didn't really start thinking about it until I decided I wanted to sell it. After looking to see how much they go for, I noticed that most of the other goldtops either had this '56 reissue' or 'slash' thing written on the truss rod cover, where mine simply says 'gibson'. And I guess while I'm here, what sort of things should I look out for on the goldtop to establish whether or not it is fake? To make things clearer, I bought the guitar from a shop in my town which is one of the stable (and only!) musical instruments stores. At the time I bought it for £299, although when I bought it, they seemed unwilling to let it go, trying to persuade me to buy a 'used' goldtop for £299 (which I obviously refused) and it seemed they had make some sort of mistake on the price, but had to let me have it anyway.

Thanks very much in advance, hope I'm not cluttering the forum by putting my post in the wrong place!

best wishes

smallteapot

Hello and Welcome, Smallteapot!

Not all Gold Tops are created equal. The '56 Reissue is based on the 1956 Gibson model, the Slash model is a signature model, named after Slash and based on his gold top.

Some Gold Tops have a total gold body, some have the top in gold and the back in a mahogany stain, and others have a dark stained back.

So, don't fret about the TRC (Truss Rod Cover). If you would, post pics of front and back of the headstock, and a couple of the full guitar.

Sheila

There are different version of the "goldtop."

The Les Paul Standard was, at one time, produced with a gold finish.

The most common model, though, is the 1956 Goldtop, which has P-90s, like the Les Paul of 1956.

The third is the Slash Goldtop, which is a very specific Les Paul Standard.

Yours is, most likely, a late-90s Les Paul Standard, hence the "Gibson" truss rod cover.

Archived