Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG "standard"?

I just bought a 2004 Epi SG "standard" and I'm wondering if this is the same as the G-400? Can anyone shed some light?

Is the neck bolt-on or set?

If it's a set neck, then you've got a G-400 which is essentially the Epi equivalent of an "SG Standard". You've probably also got Grover tuners on that.

If it's a bolt-on neck then you've got the cheaper G-310 with different pickups, a bigger scratch plate, no fretboard binding and probably non-Grover tuners.

Both good guitars though.

Remembering my Gibson SG days, I tried a Samick Greg Bennet model SG in a music store yesterday as well as the Epi G-400 model. Both were good playing instruments. I didn't hook up to an amp, just played them unplugged, but it brought back some memories.

The neck is set. The fretboard has trapezoid inlays but there's no binding. I know it was made in China from the "ee" on the serial number. The tuners say "Jinho" on the back. The model number is EGG4WRGH. I tried plugging it into the Epiphone site's search engine but nothing came up.

What's the trick to uploading a picture? The picture button inserts HTML code, and I'm not that advanced...

Archived