Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of finish on Epiphone Supernovas?

laschfan

Hi,

Does anyone know if the finishes on these models, specifically the Union Jack model, was a nitro or poly finish?

I'm thinking about stripping mine down to the bare wood and was wondering what kind of finish awaits me.

The white on it has yellowed over time which leads me to think it might be nitro??

Thanks.

Poly.

You'd make that guitar worthless if you take the finish off. Especially if it's a Union-Jack model. Those are the one's people really want.

If you're going to ruin it, you might as well just sell it, an get a regular Riviera to experiment on. You could get 3 Rivieras for what you could sell a Union-Jack Supernova for.

Poly.

You'd make that guitar worthless if you take the finish off. Especially if it's a Union-Jack model. Those are the one's people really want.

If you're going to ruin it' date=' you might as well just sell it, an get a regular Riviera to experiment on. You could get 3 Rivieras for what you could sell a Union-Jack Supernova for.[/quote']

Sigh...I actually KNOW you're right...but it's an idea that's plagued me for a while. I most likely won't do it...but sometimes the notion hits me.

I LOVE the guitar...have had it for 7-8 years now and never plan on selling it Oh well...thanks for the clear-headed thinking.

Yep.. but the pickup routes would be the right size for P90s.

I am not a fan of the who HB sized P90. I like dogears.

EDIT: That said.. I am not a big fan of bridge pickups either but I didnt mention that because that is harder to fix.

Archived