Gibson Brands Forums

Value of a mid-late 90's Tarada Made Riviera

DanielJameS

Yeah, and buying one, that you haven't played, and don't know if you'll really like the neck, etc....

Seems like, if you're not all that desperate, at this point...maybe wait for one you "can't live without?"

Unless, of course, you can get him down, on the price, to where it's worth it. Decisions, decisions!

CB

Exactly - Well, being a lefty though, you don't have the luxury of trying various guitars at shops and what not.....Your options as a lefty are pretty typically MIM strats/teles...and the ocassional standard american fender, I do have the luxury of living in nashville and being 15 minutes from the gibson plant, so I've tried a whole slew of newer 335's, sheratons, etc etc. But to me, the newer stuff is pretty lack-luster....does not feel very solid in your hands. My only research on neck profiles and nut widths is playing guitars with similar dimensions to use as a reference. The nut width does seem unusually small 1.62"? I guess that would be pretty characteristic of guitars of this era? Than again, what is the difference really between 1 11/16ths and 1.62" I'm not good at math ha ha...

The main question is....would this guitar hold me over? Or am I going to have it for 6 months and still want a real 335? There is a chance of getting a pretty solid 80's made 335 re-issue on ebay for around 2400-2500...I also have an 86" les paul custom thats beautiful I was thinking about selling.

Ahh I don't know, bottom line I think this particular one is too expensive, the lack of bids is indicative of that. If someone buys it at that price, it's because they have the money and just have to have it. Or they live within the Japan area and don't have to deal with all the fee's.

If he doesn't sell it on eBay, hopefully he'll consider dealing with me independently, if not...I can always watch for a re-list at a lower price, and go for it than.

Could be one of those things I'm passing on and kicking myself for, but I could also be kicking myself 3 weeks from now when I spent an unneccesary $500 and bills are due!

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm "dying" to get an ES-345, and a VOS '62 SG Standard with Maestro. But, even at the best price I've

seen on them, it's still a LOT of money, that I don't really need to spend and as much as I'd love to have them, I have a

real hard time justifying that kind of expense, anymore...at my age. LOL But, I've done crazier things, in my life. So..???

CB

Ha, there are at least 5 different guitars I want to own.....this most recent one wasn't even on the list, you know how that goes though....

Theres a standard american tele down at Guitar Center with the case on the floor for $750, I'm sure I can get them down to $700 on....though I would like the Semi-hollow way over the tele...haha

Well, my guitar list is formulated primarily around the fact that I record A LOT....so versatility is great....Got a les paul, and a strat, give me a great tele, an older SG, and a trey trey five, and I'll be good to go....the rest is just for kicks....and don't get me started on amps ha ha!

Well' date=' my guitar list is formulated primarily around the fact that I record A LOT....so versatility is great....Got a les paul, and a strat, give me a great tele, an older SG, and a trey trey five, and I'll be good to go....the rest is just for kicks....and don't get me started on amps ha ha![/quote']

Do you know a fellow named "Jack Trice?" Has (or had) a blues band, called Jack Trice & The Road Dogs,

there in Nashville.

CB

Can't say I've heard the name...is he a broadway cat?

Well, I don't know...he's an old friend of mine, from decades ago...we grew up in

neighboring towns, here in Kansas. It been a few years, since I spoke with him,

but last I heard, he was playing in that band, and doing some writing and session

work, for other's there, in Nashville. But, I suppose that describes just about every

other musician, there. LOL! Anyway..no big deal, just curious.

CB

Archived