Gibson Brands Forums

My IB'64 Texan

powerpopper

This baby just showed up yesterday. My purpose in getting her was to have a gig-ready guitar with not a lot of $$ tied up in it for those times I don't want to worry (irrationally) about my guitar growing feet. Full disclosure...I played the Texan against my DR-500P unplugged...seems to me the Masterbilt is the "better" guitar...fuller, more bottom end...but the Texan holds its own pretty well, especially given the price.

Fit and finish on mine is quite good. I could nitpick about a few little things but then again this is no Collings or Santa Cruz. Hell, it's not even a Gibson and cost less than $500. It's a perfectly fine guitar all around. I did change the plastic bridge pins to Camel Bone straight away, not that I believe that affects tone--I'm just allergic to plastic pins. I considered for a second changing the saddle but decided against it. Lowered the action just a tad and it is easy playing, for sure...nice slim neck.

As expected, I'm not thrilled with the Wilkinson Deluxe tuners. I may have to do that Kluson upgrade.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm not happy with the EMBADCS case as an option for this guitar and would like to see what else might be available. Seems like the rather long Epi headstock is what throws things out of whack when trying standard cases.

Bottom line...this guitar is a LOT of bang for the buck even if I do spring for new tuners. Count me among the happy Texan owners.

congrats on the new Texan! It's one hell of a guitar. I actually liked the sound of IB Texan over the rosewood Masterbilt.

Post pics soon?

My Texan, played acoustically, doesn`t have the complex overtones of a fine Rosewood backed guitar. But what it does have, is a very balanced tone, which has got a bit of zing to it, and is just about perfect, for vocal accompanmient, and that, for the money, is pretty incredible in itself.

Steve.

congrats on the new Texan! It's one hell of a guitar. I actually liked the sound of IB Texan over the rosewood Masterbilt.

Post pics soon?

I love my Texan' date=' but its not in the same league as my masterbilt AJ500re, I bought the Texan a month or so ago and loved it straight out of the box, I thought I'd finally got a serious acoustic for very little money, up until then my Martin D1 was my giging guitar, and then I bought the MB AJ500 rosewood, now I'm really spoiled for choice, the rosewood is by far better than any guitar I have had my hands on, but the Texan does come close, and the Martin (with LR Baggs pickup) has gone to a new home to help pay for my new friends. [biggrin

Should point out a couple of things about my current situation.

1) I have 2 Masterbilts--a DR-500P and an AJ-500RE. Both fine guitars. The DR-500P has a Baggs LB6 in it.

2) I am mostly a Singer-Songwriter and perform solo or with another guitar. The Texan seems better suited to vocal accompaniment than either of the Masterbilts to my ear.

I've been a Rosewood guy most of my guitar playing life. The Texan (though I strongly suspect is Sapele) has surprised the hell out of me, in a good way.

I agree with you, the texan is a performers dream, I play in a couple of bands and have used the Texan with great feedback, but for soloing the Masterbuilt suits me better, just my preference, but I'm so lucky to have a great choice.

I think its agreat time for guitarists, so many really wellmade guitars at very reasonable prices, I think Epiphone are leading the way forward, I aplaud them.

Archived