Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Special parts on e-bay

puhio

Hello, new to this forum. A buddy gave me an old Epiphone Special that he got at a garage sale. He just wanted the gig bag. Pickups were open circuits, the body made of plywood. Stickers, no strings. Great project for me to experiment with installing wiring,pots and pickups. Notice that parts of a similar guitar are being bid up on ebay to over 40 bucks just for just the bolt on neck! The body is being bid on too. Are these guitars special or something? A new one only goes for 160 some bucks. It was fun to be able to fearlessly install the electronics. Only two pots!

Welcome to the Forum!

I like that "gave me" part. Congrats on a freebie score!

Try to be around if he buys an AMP just for the COVER! [biggrin]

You don't mention which Special - LP or SG, it's definitely an

"entry-level" guitar, but in the hands of a skilled player, wouldn't

make a noticeable difference. Should have Ceramic Magnet

650R and 700T pickups in it.

I have an LP Special II I picked up on the cheap,

listed as having a cracked neck. Wanted another project.

After initially tuning up, it played just fine, able to hit "pinch harmonics"

with no trouble at all. Finish at nut was definitely fractured. Sanded

all paint off neck, NO CRACK! Just looked horrible with original paint fractures

and missing paint chips.

Not sure about the "plywood" part on your git - over the last couple of years I've noticed

the body wood description change from "Alder/Maple", to "Basswood", to

"Mahogany". The one I have is not layered plywood, it's "solid" something-wood.

The serial number on the metal plate on back where neck bolts on will date guitar

to year of manufacture. Regarding Ebay, folks have discovered that parting out a git

can generate more cash than selling as complete unit.

Mine is still in progress, only 3 or 4 more coats Tung Oil on neck to go,

then it's time to decide what to do with body... The scratches on it can be

buffed out, but my brain keeps seeing either Cherry Red or Natural with Tung Oil...

100_0523.jpg

Notice that parts of a similar guitar are being bid up on ebay to over 40 bucks just for just the bolt on neck! The body is being bid on too.

There are folks out there who buy guitars' date=' take them apart and sell them piece by piece. For some reason guitars, especially cheap ones, are worth more apart than together.

Are these guitars special or something?

Yes, that's why they're called Specials....[biggrin]

Thanks for the feedback. Great work on the neck, animalfarm. I sanded the body of mine with micromesh to cleanup the existing thick and funky paintjob and remove some nicks. My wife thought the guitar was made of plastic. GFS for tuners,pickups and a pot to coil cut theDream 180s.

img9400.jpg

Archived