Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar polish and/or carnuba wax?

jrc127

I use Dunlop Formula 65 Polish and Cleaner on all my guitars and it does a nice job in cleaning and shining them up. It even works well on the satin finish on my Seagull acoustic.

I was wondering about using a wax product like Dunlop Cream of Carnuba. Has anyone used this product or anything similar? I guess you would only need to use wax a few times a year to lay down a nice coat and keep the finish protected. My Dot is only a few months old and I have some minor swirls on the bass side from strumming (a sleeve button, apparently) :-({|= - I'm not fanatical but want to keep it nice. Will a wax fill these shallow swirls in the finish?

I go to Wal Mart and get a small bottle of Meguiar's liquid carnauba car wax. Does a great job cleaning and polishing my guitars. In between, I use a 100% cotton cloth to wipe it down after use.

For swirls/scratches, try swirl remover. Does a great job. Or, look for Novus brand plastic polish. They have numbers (1,2, etc) that are intended for different issues...one is a polish, another is for swirls/scratches. Try the minimum level of polish first them move up.

Any of this stuff works well, even the stuff intended for car finishes. The poly finish can not be harmed by it.

I use Zymol car wax, which is mostly a Carnuba wax, on very rare occations for my poly finished guitars. I won't use it on my nitro Gibson acoustics. For them I will, again very rarely, use Gibson pump polish. Mostly I just wipe them down with a cotton diaper that I keep in each case, when done playing for the night. For the most part, polish and wax is not necessary, but for removing swirls on poly Meguires products tend to work well finished with a nice Carnuba wax.

Archived