Gibson Brands Forums

what's ur ideal pup combo for lp versitility?

wardog

topic says it all. i recently got a black lp custom epi off ebay. 150.00, not bad for a gutted guitar with minor play wear. i decided to use the sd p-rails i had in my goody bag.

pups are nice but not the sound i think i want. very deep and volume heavy in all settings. so, i decide to ask the group for advice.

the best combo i have installed to date was a veh gfs bridge and gfs little killer in the neck. very nice pups on their own and blendeed with switch in ctr very versitile and sounds awesome. (to me)

so, what would u use to get the most out of your guitar?

have have seen on rondomusic and other members setups where a p90 is in the neck and a humbker is in the bridge.

for those that have experince in this set-up. How does it sound? what styles of music is it used for? Is the humbker coil-tapped?

I'm very pleased with my SD hot-rodded set. It can do ultra cleans to blues to rock to metal, all very well. Check out the comparison vid I made below. Also, if you want to coil tap them you'll get even more versatility.

Perhaps the ulimate for versatility would be the SD P-Rails which, with the right switches installed, will give p90, humbucker and single coil options with each pup.

My vid:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I have the P-90/humbucker combo in one of my LP's' date=' and I actually set out to do it in the SG as well. It's a great combo because the P-90 doesn't get as muddy as a neck humbucker can. I recommend it.[/quote']

My original neck is getting muddier every time I switch to it.......? Its like the mileage is getting to high...?

alanh nice sd pups. they sound better than the p-rails. i like the p-rails, but not totally in love with them. i plan to try the other wire setup sd has for them with the push pull on the tone, this will give series and parallel along with rail and p90. but, they are very volume heavy in current setup with push pull on vol and no option for parellel or series in hmbr mode. at times i can not tell the diffence between them. could be a wire goof on my part.

Archived