Gibson Brands Forums

hngd!

it's a white 2008 les paul double cut faded from gak:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11011

i was a bit concerned that the box was open. just taped all the staple had been removed... it's the right guitar and has a gig bag and owners manual. no tools of any kind no certificate or reciept.

ok so lets have a look. the good:

it's a good weight and hangs well.

the neck feels nice, not too fat.

the tuners hold very well.

the tone unplugged is good, but perhaps not as good as my 87 sg?

plugged it is spot on. it has the tone i have been looking for.

i don't like trapezoids so that's good, just with dots.

the colour is nice, it looks really nicest from a foot or so away. the finish may take a little getting used to!

the intonation and setup is pretty ok. no buzzes at a fairly ok string height.

the bad:

the fretboard is a bit dry. (i have some lemon oil somewhere.also the fretboard has the same funny smell a very cheap marlin strat i own has. (a bit like fish!) the wood to looks like that too.

there's quite a gap around the p90's. i've never owned a dc so... the bridge pickup is a little wobbly/ springy.

i will get some pics up to check it's not fake. later.

it's a white 2008 les paul double cut faded from gak:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11011

i was a bit concerned that the box was open. just taped all the staple had been removed... it's the right guitar and has a gig bag and owners manual. no tools of any kind no certificate or reciept.

ok so lets have a look. the good:

it's a good weight and hangs well.

the neck feels nice' date=' not too fat.

the tuners hold very well.

the tone unplugged is good, but perhaps not as good as my 87 sg?

plugged it is spot on. it has the tone i have been looking for.

i don't like trapezoids so that's good, just with dots.

the colour is nice, it looks really nicest from a foot or so away. the finish may take a little getting used to!

the intonation and setup is pretty ok. no buzzes at a fairly ok string height.

the bad:

the fretboard is a bit dry. (i have some lemon oil somewhere.also the fretboard has the same funny smell a very cheap marlin strat i own has. (a bit like fish!) the wood to looks like that too.

there's quite a gap around the p90's. i've never owned a dc so... the bridge pickup is a little wobbly/ springy.

i will get some pics up to check it's not fake. later.[/quote']

My SG was from gak.co.uk. and you have beaten me to the double cut[angry] :) I was hopefully going to get one in the summer from them or a TV yellow Jr. Looks like the Junior now hahaha.

they said they only had 2 in stock. 1 green bottle hanging on the wall!:)

the lemon oil has done a improved things. the strings are a little too much for me . i think these are 10's. i only have a 6th and 4th string so i've had to drop the tuning. the tone is suprisingly dark! i have disconnected the tone pots. the tone pots seem measure 500k. i don't know why the volumes won't register. i wonder what they are? they are stamped gibson. but i took a look at the pups and they aren't stamped. they are braided wired pups though. they are alnico single coils though they screw into nuts rather than the wood, which is nice. the frets are also larger than the ones on my sg which is good because the sg ones are hardly there, they are too thin!

where's my camera...:)

Archived