Gibson Brands Forums

My G400 now rocks!!!

AS90

I never like my G400, the pickups were muddy and lifeless, the pots were scratchy and the tuning stability was poor. It only cost me £100 so I wasn't too fussed, I just never played it. Once it had fallen over and snapped in two I just left it in the corner of the room for 2 years.

As posted in another thread I was bored and decided to glue it back together, not only was the neck snapped, the tennon was a bit loose too. So over the last couple of weeks I have playing around with different pickups, I decided to pull all the electronics and install new, I then found an old Japanese neck pickup from a 1982 Greco. I stuck it in upside down in the bridge position and wired it straight into the jack. WOW.

The tone is awesome, the whole guitar feels like it has come to life, tons more tone and sustain. I was going to put it down to the pickup or the fact that there wasn't a neck pickup to magnetically deaden the strings, then I strummed it unplugged and realised it was now 100 times better acoustically. I think the repair has improved the tone drastically, it also stays in tune now, so Im thinking the tennon was loose when I bought it. And without tone and volume pots there is no buzzing or scratching! Its staying like this for now.

000_0001.jpg

AS, I'd call that one Benitez cos its got no forwards and it might not stay in the long run.....:)

Like the thought of bridge pickup straight to jack sort of like a trip to Juventus....

EDIT:

None of that makes sense!

granted a bit too cryptic........will rephrase and elaborate...

Do you think you will keep it?

Do you think you you can do without the neck pickup for the duration?

Is what you gain from having no volume, tone, pots and caps more than what you gain with them...?

Could the open neck cavity have something to do with the extra acoustic volume? ......

And finally do you think Benitez will fly the coop to Turin...?

AS' date=' I'd call that one Benitez cos its got no forwards and it might not stay in the long run.....:)

Like the thought of bridge pickup straight to jack sort of like a trip to Juventus....

[/quote']

None of that makes sense!

Did you reset the neck? How did you address the loose tenon?

It didn't need resetting, there was a hairline crack around the neck where it meets the body, the back of the tennon was wobbly so I opened up the crack and injected glue into it and cleaned up the neck/body join and injected glue around that too. Solid as a rock now.

Cool' date=' well done.

What glue you use? Watered down titebond?[/quote']

Epoxy resin for this one, if you warm the area with a hair drier first epoxy becomes more viscous and runs into every little crack.

Do you think you will keep it?

Do you think you you can do without the neck pickup for the duration?

Is what you gain from having no volume' date=' tone, pots and caps more than what you gain with them...?

Could the open neck cavity have something to do with the extra acoustic volume? ......

And finally do you think Benitez will fly the coop to Turin...?

[/quote']

I dont think I would ever sell this one, it doesn't owe me anything as it was ready for the bin. I would probably give to someone.

Only today I played a solo that needs a neck pickup and did kind of miss it.

I sit next to my amp so I can use that for volume and tone but in the long run I would be mad to not at least add a volume pot.

Dont think its the open neck cavity, some people think the magnets in neck pickups can deaden the strings prematurely hence the Fender Esquire.

And finally, I hope so!

Archived