Gibson Brands Forums

explorer balance issues

nickpan

i just pickup up a used korina explorer and its extremely neck heavy to the point where if i let go of it the neck ends up facing nearly at a 45 degree angle towards the floor. im assuming im not the only one whos run into this issue with the guitar and was wondering what some possible solutions would be. ive thought about moving the strap button down on the guitar further but didnt want to start putting holes in it until im sure thatll help fix the problem.

Why do they even let guitars leave the shop/factory like this? back when they first came out I bought one of those Epi Vintage SG guitars, beautiful looking guitar, binding on the neck and all but the neck dive made the guitar unplayable, I sent it back the same day. The strap button was behind the heel too, I was thinking of moving it to the back of the upper horn or on the point but returned it instead. I was kinda aggrivated. I think the problem was that the body was just too light. They could have added a little thickness to the body and it probably would have been perfect.

Any guitar that must be supported is USELESS.

i just picked up a heavier leather strap and it does stay in place alot better, still tugs down on it pretty bad tho. once i get the courage to do it ill probably move the button and hope that balances it out more

Why do they even let guitars leave the shop/factory like this? back when they first came out I bought one of those Epi Vintage SG guitars' date=' beautiful looking guitar, binding on the neck and all but the neck dive made the guitar unplayable, I sent it back the same day. The strap button was behind the heel too, I was thinking of moving it to the back of the upper horn or on the point but returned it instead. I was kinda aggrivated. I think the problem was that the body was just too light. They could have added a little thickness to the body and it probably would have been perfect.[/quote']

It has NOTHING to do with quality control. It's the DESIGN! You want an SG? Fine, but don't ***** when it's neck heavy. That's the deal. Same with Explorers, (I find mine to be acceptable though. I like a guitar that has a little weight in the neck, keep the thing in your hand on stage.) You don't want a heavy-*** body, Fender found that out the hard way in the 70's. There are various ways to correct neck dive, but I won't bother listing them, because after all, you won't read them. You sent a perfectly good guitar back because of something that trivial. The guitar won't neck-dive if you keep your hands on it.

Any guitar that must be supported is USELESS.

So you don't use guitar straps? That's... interesting... please send me some of this "Magic Floating Guitar" technology that you've developed.

It has NOTHING to do with quality control. It's the DESIGN! You want an SG? Fine' date=' but don't ***** when it's neck heavy. That's the deal. Same with Explorers, (I find mine to be acceptable though. I like a guitar that has a little weight in the neck, keep the thing in your hand on stage.) You don't want a heavy-*** body, Fender found that out the hard way in the 70's. There are various ways to correct neck dive, but I won't bother listing them, because after all, you won't read them. You sent a perfectly good guitar back because of something that trivial. The guitar won't neck-dive if you keep your hands on it.

So you don't use guitar straps? That's... interesting... please send me some of this "Magic Floating Guitar" technology that you've developed.[/quote']

WOW man, I've owned plenty of SGs in my life, mostly Gibson and Epiphone, none of them had this problem what-so-ever. What I sent back was a piece of sh**, read the reviews for this model guitar. But maybe you won't read those (idk wtf you put that in there???). I should have listened to the reviews myself and saved myself the trouble.

I know very well it's not quality control, and that it's design , that's what I meant.

"The guitar won't neck dive if you keep your hands on it"

That's assinine. It affects playing very much...but idk maybe it doesn't matter in your case.

plus, where did I say I don't use guitar straps??? and your comment about heavy bodies, that's perplexing me too. I haven't played many les pauls but all the ones that I did were on the heavy side. As for Fender, never heard too many people *****ing about those, I'll take a Fender Strat any day. damn even if it's aSquire I won't have to worry about the headstock wanting to hit the floor every 2 seconds.

What are you an epi salesman? Go back and tell 'em they screwed up. Maybe some people can deal with it but I won't. The combination of a full access neck, no finish laquer on the body and the Epiphone headstock made the guitar extremely neck heavy. I've used the same wide leather strap on every guitar I've had for the last 30+ years so it had nothing to do with the strap.

Moving the strap button to the neck heel does also help. Here's a shot of mine:

explback.jpg

@gl297; I think Hungrycat's comment about not using straps was him using semantics to play with you. Otherwise, neck dive is something you accept if you play an SG- or Explorer-like guitar.

yeah whatever his point was...not really concerned with it to tell you the truth.

I've had about 7 different SG guitars and about 25 other models before buying that SG and I never even thought about "neck-dive" with all them.

i tried moving the button towards the bridge side up towards the top horn first like it is on the gibson korina ones but didnt notice much of a change. i moved the other one to the heel also and that made a big difference. now i just have to fill in the extra holes ive got

Archived