Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning

bluser12

I finished changing strings on my guitars this morning and as I tuned up I wondered if it matters as to what order each string is tuned. Is it best to go from Low E to High E in sequence, or to alternate from top to bottom working to the middle of the fret board. Or is a matter of personal preference?

Any way that floats your boat, as long as the thing ends up in tune when you're finished.

But I'd be willing to bet that most players do it from low E up, in order, especially those geezers like me who learned to tune before electronic tuners were so common.

I always start with "A". Then rough-tune up to high "e". Then start over at low "E".

Even if I'm just tuning up with non-new strings. I start at "A" andwork my way up to "e" then "E"...then hit "A" again just to make sure its still in tune.

Thanks to all. I figured it did not matter. I tune low E, high E, B,D,G ,A. I am still relatively new to guitars, so I relate everything to my work. If am riveting something together I start in the middle and and then alternate left and right of center so the metal stretches out flat and the fasteners are uniform with no gaps or humps. Also I'm a bit compulsive and little things like a screw out of place makes me crazy. My wife and daughter use this against me. As an example I could be dead tired late at night and headed for bed and one of them will say something like," The mirror in the hall looks crooked." My reply is "I don't care, I need to sleep." I stay in bed about 30 minutes or so, but I ALWAYS get up, grab a tape measure or a level and straighten the damn thing out. I can hear the two of them laughing, but its the only way I can quit thinking about it and get some sleep. I know its silly but its me nature and I have learned to cope with it. So thanks for being patient with me if from time to time I ask questions with obvious answers.

Archived