Gibson Brands Forums

thinking about a sheraton or dot

alanssaab

i'm thinking about getting a sherry or a dot but after yesterday i'm in 2 minds . my daughter has an old (early 90's ) hohner se335 , the pots were getting scratchy and the pups were mince , so i decided to do a 50's style wiring job on it and i had a set of epi pups to put in it . so i pulled out all the old stuff , made up me template and got to work ( the pots arrived around noon ) i got it all wired up , no problems there [biggrin] getting those cts pots through the f hole was a bit of a bugger , but i got it all in and mounted up , then nothing but silence [biggrin] it turned out that getting eveything in the pio caps were touching other bits of the pots they shouldn't have been , eventually got it all working [biggrin] and it's sounding a excellent now , but what a load of hassle

so . i'm now wondering if i should get an epi shery or dot , i like my vintage wiring but doing it to these things is murder [biggrin] , i hope i don't get asked to do another one of these soon [biggrin] cheers

Alan

I have a Dot and a Sherry. I love both and both sound different. The Sherry has a brighter tone and the Dot a little mellower tone. The neck on my Sherry has a nice slim profile, which I really like, my Dot has a thicker profile, which I can adjust to fairly easily. The Sherry has more bling and the Dot is more plain. Go try them out and see which ones feels best to you. Personally, I couldn't say no to either one. I got the Sherry first, then the Sot.

No guarantees about bad pots or switches on either down the road. Epis aren't known for great electronic parts. I didn't like the stock pickups, some here love them. So I ripped out both guitars and put in new pickups and wiring harnesses on both. No, they aren't easy, but they are doable. Fishing stuff through the f-hole can be a pain, especially if you have to do it more than once. I did because this was my first time on a semi and I learned a few things, what NOT to do next time. If you put quality parts in when you do it though, you shouldn't have to so it again.

Alanssaab, welcome to the "through the f-hole" club! It does get easier, knowing that they will go through the holes the second time takes some of the stress out.

If you do get a Sheraton, note the width of the f-holes as some of the Korean ones from a run of a few years, sorry can't tell you the factory, have smaller f-holes which only take mini-pots. I don't know if dots were affected.

I prefer Sheratons but that's only my humble opinion.

Archived