Gibson Brands Forums

gibson checks out? but what of the pickups?

i've sent my pics of the dc faded to gibson europe. they didn't give a great "yep it's real reply." only "the serial checks out with a white dc faded with chrome hardware." i was wanting a better reply than that! even though i bought it new the box was open and i left me feeling uneasy. anyway the pickups look odd. does anyone have a faded here? these pickup pics are showing some dodgy looking p90 under sides. what do you think?

050610194112.jpg?t=1274640111

050610194347.jpg?t=1274640153

have my p90's been swapped?

They look just like the P90s in mine, except mine didn't have the values written on them. If it was bought new from a dealer rather than a private secondhand purchase I wouldn't worry about it for a second. I've never seen or heard of anyone faking these models.

i did get it new from a dealer but the box was open, so i checked it out all over. the brass backs are bent in a "v shape" for an unknown reason.the magnets are unpolished on the tops and bottoms. maybe the postie wanted to try it out!

@antwhi2001 is yours the faded version? this must be the absolute no frills version! there is no hum cancelling in the mid position so they must be gibson?

Yes, mine is a 2004 faded in "worn yellow" which I've modded.

100_0517.jpg

The yellow was much darker than TV yellow, and also worn in odd places, so I resprayed it. I also replaced the nasty white plastic key tuners with Gibson Deluxe, and fitted top hat knobs and pointer washers. Applied a new headstock overlay with "TV Special" script. Finally, swapped the bridge pup for a 10k Kent Armstrong. It's been my most-gigged guitar since I got it, P90s do everything from jazz to Beatles to Sabbath.

I also briefly owned the single cut-away version with humbuckers, very similar guitar :

100_1981.jpg

Both are light and comfortable, but solid with lots of natural resonance. I love the slim necks too.

The P90s are noisy at high volume, but I don't do any recording, just pub gigs, so it's not an issue to me. It didn't used to bother Pete Townshend / Carlos Santana / Martin Barre / Tony Iommi....all those guys were using 2x P90 guitars around 1970, and it worked for them.

Archived