Gibson Brands Forums

2001 Ej-200

rileymyers

I am considering a purchase of an Ej-200, made in 2001 in Korea. I was wondering if anyone knew what the specs/materials for that year were, or if they would be the same as the ones in stores today. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I have an '04 Korean 200 that I wouldn't trade for anything in the price range.........

The EJ body is all "select" (laminated) Maple, and unless i'm mistaken, the neck is Maple as well.

The action on mine is SUPERB, and it stays in tune w/the best of them.

Being all laminate, the top end isn't as bright as a solid top, but a Super Jumbo is geared more toward mid/bass tones anyhow.

I can't reply as to the New Models, as I haven't played any, but there has been a plethora of talk about the differences in guitars from Korea vs. from the new factories (I believe the new EJs come from Indonesia) that you might want to look up on our "Search" function, and/or look up on sites such as Harmony Central etc.

The obvious rule of thumb is, if possible, give it a good "once over" and play it a good bit before you buy it, no matter where it's from or what model it is.

Welcome to the forum!

thanks for the reply! I have played the guitar and absolutley love it! it's incredible..my only holdback is that the guy wants more for it than a new one, because he did some work on it to make it better. (bone bridge, put in x bracing, a few other small details...) which obviously knocks the value up a bit, I just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra cash, and I am slightly cautious about what the previous owner before him may have done to it, if there would be any damages I'm not aware of.

I can say this, after trying 6 Indonesian EJ200s to find one good one, the Korean Epi's seem to use better materials and have better fit and finish. The used value of the guitar you are talking about can range from $250-$300.

I like Korean Epiphones over Indonesian made models. Best of luck.

Archived