Gibson Brands Forums

How to resize images on this forum

altair

Hello everyone,

Since people are now getting the hang of posting pictures on this forum, I would now

like to talk to you about image SIZE. You see, sometimes people will post large images

which by itself is fine, but this forum has problems handling these large images correctly.

Below you will see a large, full sized image. If you try to read this line of text, you will also notice that it goes a lot wider than the original forum size and indeed, can even run outside of your screen which forces you to scroll sideways if you want to keep reading this. See? Don't you find that annoying?

epiphone_large.jpg

Now, there's two ways to do something about this. First, I want to ask the forum administrator

to check the code and enable a simple feature which allows a user to change the size of a picture in the BB Code.

It works like this:

{width}x{hight}image url[/img].

Example:

800x600http://www.vpilot.net/images/epiphone_large.jpg[/img]

As soon as this feature works, then the second solution won't be necessary (unless you care

about image size in MB's, in other words: bandwith).

The second solution is to resize your images in Ms Paint before you post them.

I deliberately say Ms Paint because it's standard on all Windows machines. Not everyone

has a fancy program like Paintshop or knows how to use it.

So, first you open your image in Ms Paint. As you can see, this is a very large image.

Only the top left corner is visible.

open_paint.jpg

Next, go to the menu "Image" and select "Stretch".

In the dialog box of "Stretch", change the percentage of stretch to 30% like this:

stretch.jpg

This percentage works nicely for my images, but you can fiddle around to get your

own pictures in the right size for the forum.

Lastly, save your newly resized image AS A NEW IMAGE. So, instead of "Save", use "Save as..."

so you don't overwrite your original image. You can also make a copy of the image

before you begin resizing, as extra backup in case you hit "Save" instead of "Save as..."

The rest is the same for all images: upload to any webhost of your choice and link it on the forum.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Oh and one last thing, I've mentioned Paint as being the standard on Windows.

I can hear you ask: What about Apple computers? The answer is, I'm certain that those too

have a simple draw or image editing program on board. But since I don't have an Apple,

I can't post a how-to for Apple machines. Sorry.

Hmmmm.... To prevent this problem, especially the

"Stretched Text", I do this:

1. Type comments no longer than half the page width before

going to new line.

2. I RESIZE my pics in my computer to "Webpage Large" using

Microsoft Picture manager BEFORE posting to image hosting site.

I know what you mean - can't stand text that stretches to infinity

like an Excel Spreadsheet.... Just lazy, I guess. :) Better hit the

Rocking Chair...

1018183_87f5_625x1000.jpg

1013835_4067_625x1000.jpg

The really annoying thing is that once a superlarge picture has been posted, all the replies on that page are also stretched. It becomes nearly impossible to read. I wonder if this is out of the border already. What do you think?

Archived