Gibson Brands Forums

Huge Larsen Effect on G string ? "WTF" ?

alans056

Hello all!

This morning, I pick up my guitar to practice a bit. And OH MY GOD what the hell is that ??? O_O [blink]

Every time I hit the "G" string, BAM!! A huge Larsen !! Like really insane!! [angry]

And it just started to do that today! Yesterday was fine! I didn't touch anything!!!

Guitar : Ep Lp Custom

Amp : Fender FM212R (100w)

Both brand new, bought a couple of months ago.

I tried playing a bit further than the amp, no change.

I tried de-tangling my jack-cable, nothing

I tried playing with the settings and volume, nothing (even on Drive!).

This is seriously driving me nuts, I can't play anymore!!!

Can anyone help me ?

Thank you!!! [thumbup]

One of your pickups may be going microphonic (magnet coil wires vibrating against each other in sympathy with certain frequencies). See if you can isolate it to one pickup. If it's a bad pickup, Epi will give you a new one under warranty I think, or you could wax pot them.

thanks for the answer!

So I don't seem to be hearing anything strange when I switch the guitar on "RYTHM".

I guess I Pickup is dead ? Jesus, it was doing fine just yesterday [thumbup]

So if Epiphone sends me one for free, I still have to pay a repair shop to get it installed I suppose...

It depends whether you bought it from a shop or online. If from a shop, they should fix it for free under Epi warranty.

If online, I'd try for a complete replacement guitar with them picking up the shipping charges both ways.

Considering the time and possible expense (if you have to ship it to a warranty center) of having it fixed under the warranty, you might want to consider doing it yourself. Epiphone pickups are "a dime a dozen" as we say in the U.S., meaning they're very inexpensive or possibly free from somewho has upgraded to different pickups. Replacing a pickup in a Les Paul is very easy, even for a novice do-it-yourselfer, or with the help of a handy friend or relative. You might even consider replacing the bridge pickup with something better, as the stock LP bridge pickups leave something to be desired, in the opinion of many owners. Just offering an alternative. Good luck!

Considering the time and possible expense (if you have to ship it to a warranty center) of having it fixed under the warranty' date=' you might want to consider doing it yourself. Epiphone pickups are "a dime a dozen" as we say in the U.S., meaning they're very inexpensive or possibly free from somewho has upgraded to different pickups. Replacing a pickup in a Les Paul is very easy, even for a novice do-it-yourselfer, or with the help of a handy friend or relative. You might even consider replacing the bridge pickup with something better, as the stock LP bridge pickups leave something to be desired, in the opinion of many owners. Just offering an alternative. Good luck![/quote']

Thanks a lot!

I consider doing it myself, indeed, because the shipping to Germany etc, don't want the hassle!

One thing though : could the problem come from the amp maybe ?

Archived