Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! 1989 model G400 SG truss rod problems

fuzzybutt

i have a 1989 model g400 sg and even with the nut on the truss rod completely loose, the neck will not lose the bow, it's still really convex so that at about mid neck the strings hit the fretboard. to make it even remotely playable i have to adjust the bridge height REALLY high, leaving the string height at the base of the neck extremely high (1/4" or so) i have some experience working on guitars but this problem has me stumped. the newer g400 i have (2001 i think) loosens the enough that i can hear the truss rod rattle inside the neck.

Loosen the truss rod all the way, so its not doing anything - get a set of heavy strings 12's or heavier (even use an old acoustic set) - string it up and tune it half a step over standard, then wait for relief to develop, which it hopefully will within a few days.

There are other more drastic solutions but try I suggest you try this first.

Excellent! thanks much for the advice. except for that problem i love this guitar. not so much the new model g400 i got last year (picture the results of nowhere near enough glue when the neck was joined to the body)

Loosen the truss rod all the way' date=' so its not doing anything - get a set of heavy strings 12's or heavier (even use an old acoustic set) - string it up and tune it half a step over standard, then wait for relief to develop, which it hopefully will within a few days.

There are other more drastic solutions but try I suggest you try this first.[/quote']

+1, and keep the humidity up as well.

Archived