Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Lespaul upgrade

ToneGuy65

Ok I inherited a stock Epi L.P. sunburst kinda like Ice Tea Really nice looking and Plays well made in Korea.

I was Going to put BurstBucker Pro's in it with a gotoh Bridge and an RS Guitarworks Re issue upgrade kit as I have all this stuff laying around. What do ya think? I'm hoping for a good sound I dont own anything with BB pros.

Kris

That certainly will be a major upgrade. I hope it works out well for you.

Sometimes, I get a little sarcastic, as I did earlier, and some people seem to take it and themselves too seriously, failing to see the humor as intended.

I am not, nor will I ever be the person that you described in this thread, and fit none of those characterizations.

To clarify, by "some idiot" I meant a 55 year-old loser with 3 ex-wives, a failed music retail business and a basement full of so-called "vintage" garbage.

And who doesn't actually gig anymore, but owns a few guitar history books.

I've got 2 Epis with at least 1 Gibby pup in them. Makes a huge difference in tone. Can turn a mellow so-so axe into a tone machine. Epi pups aren't the worst, but they are a far cry from the best. Good luck and God speed little doodle.

I finished it this Morning. It was tougher than I thought but not hard. Ok the pick ups are VERY nice Im still not sure I have them were I want um height wise. But IT SOUNDS GREAT REALLY GREAT Im very happy. It sounds very close to my Buds 4000$ Gibson reissue that I love. I have to do something with the Toggle Switch Its a bit FUNKY. Its a completely differant animal now gobs of usable tone I'll be tinkering with it for days cant put it down. This is my first post thanks everybody for support and input. I hope Brian remembers to take his Meds lol JUST KIDDING I dont know the guy.

Its a keeper now I have to get a good case for it.

Thanks Again

Kris

Congrats on the upgrade!!! [biggrin]

Bummer on the "no pics". [crying]

First let me state, I really like using the EPI HOTCH(G) and 57CH

pickups for project guitars - they're used in Epi G-400s and LPs, and

they're perfectly acceptable pups. The choice to go to Gibby pups was

just a personal one...

My first Gibby pup upgrade was to my Epi Studio, wanted to "recapture"

the sound of the Gibsons I used to own. After install and stringing up,

I sat on a barstool in front of my amp and spent 20 minutes just playing

lead runs with tons of pinch harmonics, and hitting single notes just to see

how long I could make them sustain - yep, very happy. The Epi pups in the

Studio just had too much bottom end/mud. The pup change increased the

mid/upper frequency output, and of course, more sensitivity to picking

technique.

Soooooooo, did same to my Epi LP Classic. Happy!

Never tried the Burstbuckers, I went to what I used to have -

490R/498T for both gits, ebayed at 100 a SET, so I saved a little coin.

Were there any immediate differences that you noticed on "Power Up"?

First thing I noticed was how guiet it was no buzz at all you can just walk away from it while its on.

Second thing I noticed was how full it sounds Like thick hard to explain but It sounds like a guitar should

Not thin and muddy. The clarity of the pick ups will show all your slop if you let it..lol When I rolled the vol back

it really comes alive It has many differant sounds I havnt begun to discover. I couldnt be Happier. I put the epi pick ups in the cheap bolt on and gave it to my 13 year old son It sounds good he liked it. The R and S vintage kit came with pots and caps and sprauge bumble bee caps really makes some differance unbeliveable its a whole new ANIMAL

I love it

K

Second thing I noticed was how full it sounds Like thick hard to explain but It sounds like a guitar should

Not thin and muddy. The clarity of the pick ups will show all your slop if you let it..lol

I love it

K

Yeah' date=' the days of being able to "fudge" a few licks and changes are OVER!!!!!

The pickups will reveal ALL!!!!! Hard to explain the sound, but I get it....[biggrin[crying]

Sounds like you did great, and you are so fortunate to have had that stuff on-hand already! I personally have an Epi Dot with a set of VintageVibe Charlie Christian pickups, with two push-pulls to give me series/parallel and phase options. Really amazing range of tones, from very Tele-ish through P90 territory to some pretty fat-humbucker-like tones. VERY detailed tones; only my Tele leaves less "margin for error!"

Man its really Nice my bud came over with his Gibson R9 And me with my Epi and we played some thin lizzy The cowboy song. Awesome tone this guitar has some nice wood for what it is. Sounds great through my 50 watt Marshall plexi.

Even the wives said how good we sounded. Cant wait to Gig with it next friday.

K

Man its really Nice my bud came over with his Gibson R9 And me with my Epi and we played some thin lizzy The cowboy song. Awesome tone this guitar has some nice wood for what it is. Sounds great through my 50 watt Marshall plexi.

Even the wives said how good we sounded. Cant wait to Gig with it next friday.

K

I personally LOVE harmonizing leads' date=' That's what originally lead me to

"Thin Lizzy". If I play a "lizzy" song, I make sure the "rhythm guitarist"

can play the opposing lead without interrupting focus on the basic driving

rhythm of the song. If he/She can't. then it's "teachin' time"!!!!!

Song by T. Lizzy I personally like for "warm ups" -

Are you Ready?

(Actually easy to play, just requires playing at 1/2 step down) B.S.!!!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

We Play the cowboy song and we do Dont belive a word. The toogle switch crapped out. I gotta see if I can get one

Monday . I'll get a switchcraft if I can. I grew up Listening to lizzy from my brother I always loved them. My Brother cried real tears when Phil died. Ok I know i'm knit picking now but 3 or 4 frets are sharp can I file them with a small jewelers file??

K

Archived