Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul

vernietiger

I have an Epiphone Les Paul, what is the best strings for it? Strings of the guitar when i bought it or the D'addario EXL 110? And, are you experiencing buzzing sound with the sixth strings? How can i remove that buzzing sound? If you put a different gauge will the string produce a buzzing sound? I experienced this buzzing sound with D'addario EXL 110

-sorry for the english-

Hi Vernie..

If you put higher gauge strings on the guitar then you will sometimes experience buzzing. Normally Epiphone will put either gauge 10-46 or 9-42 on the guitar from the factory. EXL 110 are 10-46, so it may be that it came with 9-42 on the guitar from factory. Or, it may have just not been set up properly in the factory, which as I have found is usually the case. To be honest, you will need to get your guitar set up when you recieve it. Unless you have bought it in a shop that provides a set up service or you are confident enough to do it yourself.

You could to take your guitar to a professional guitar tech to have it set up properly. It is usually in the region of around £20 and you will need to do it each time you change the string gauge, and once every six months or so to keep the guitar playing well.

Or, you could learn to do it yourself. There are plenty of resources on the internet for setting up guitars, including intonation, action adjustment, truss rod adjustment etc.. it all sounds confusing, but it is really quite simple once you get the hang of it. There are plenty of people on these forums that would be willing to help you, myself included.

In my opinion, setting up your own guitar is the best way to do it. It means you can alter things to your exact preferences and you are (forgive the pun) in tune with your guitar.

Don't expect miracles though, you may not get rid of the buzzing completely. It may just be enough that you cannot hear it through your amp.

Danny

Hello Tiger!

The Epi LPs come with 10s on them. If you go up in guage, just make sure that the strings sit in the nut properly. The nut is cut for 10s, and USUALLY you can go up to 11's without an issue. If there is buzzing, it may be the nut, which is easily replaced for a higher gauge string.

And as far as what strings (brand, materials,e tc.) that is strictly up to you. If you can, buy a couple of different brands and try each of them out for a while. Eventually you will find what works best for you. Good luck and enjoy.

Sheila

Archived