Gibson Brands Forums

Strings Strings Strings. Here i Go Again.

Bliss

Yep, another island could pose a problem[blush] So what island are you from?

But why change your PUP?... Bliss you've got yourself a nice geet, & it's still 'very early days'... so why not just play her for a while until you get your basics down & find out what's she's really capable of (I think you might be surprised[cool] )... & by that time you might either be quite satified with her (which will have saved you a heap of $$$) OR you could have developed a quite different idea of what sound you really want to achieve.

Geez, I think I just shifted gear into 'Dad' mode there for a minute... Sorry about the lecture man!

eggmuffins

@eggmuffins

why sorry?

i like knowing things [cool]

i like being informed of such things.

gah..

im really poor.

@animalfarm

yes yes yes :-k

and if you saw the total number of islands in wiki / or in any reference.

IT IS NOT TRUE.

no one and i mean NO ONE

knows how much islands compose the Philippines.

some islands disappear when its High Tide and such. [biggrin])

@back to eggmuffin

yeah.. cause i saw something that the PUPs are fake gibsons

or something.

and trust me.. i HATE fakes :))

Never saw the Philippines in Wiki - Been there 3 times.

Mostly Subic Bay, Olangapo City, Manila... Rode around in "Jeepneys"

so many times I can't count them all. Don't worry, I was one

of the "good" sailors, not one of the idiots that just went

ashore just to get drunk...

We had a Filipino Head cook on the sub I was on - he made some

really cool food! Cooked beef with Lemon juice, made lots of

traditional Filipino food... Pretty good stuff!!!

Pork Adobo, Lumpia, kare-kare, arroz de valencia....

Keep posting, we'll try to help you work out any problems, answer

questions to best of our ability....

yeah.. cause i saw something that the PUPs are fake gibsons

or something. and trust me.. i HATE fakes [biggrin])

NO... not fakes... You've got some awesome 'Alnico' PUPS on your geet' date=' which were designed by Epiphone USA[cool'] [cool]:-k

a question.

if i got money for the PUP

what should i get?

Seymour Duncans?

@eggmuffins

ok AWESOME huh~ [cool])

@animalfarm

haah nice.

though we still suck. :-k

@all

sorry for my english.

cuz..

im Filipino

Been there 3 times.... on the sub I was on

animal: So you've probably seen ALL the islands... even at high tide[biggrin]

Bliss: So which island are you on Bliss?... & 'Alnicos'... yep... exactly the same as on my SG400! ... & I like the 'Pride' in your updated signature... NOW YOU'RE TALKING MY LANGUAGE!

eggmuffins

@eggmuffins

there are 3 major islands

Luzon [Where Manila is Located] [Top Island]

Visayas [Middle Island] [Where Cebu is]

Mindanao [ Bottom Island] [Lots and Lots of Terrorists]

so what happened to it?

is it like destroyed cause of the fact that i put 8s?

--and thanks for the effort but.

i didn't understand a thing about the Translation to Filipino

--thanks for the effort though [cool]

No' date=' your guitar has not been destroyed. It probably just needs an adjustment. Inside the neck there's a [i']truss rod[/i], which should counteract the tension of the strings.

Here's a picture, showing the effect of the truss rod (exaggerated to make it easier to understand):

neck%20relief.gif

Image courtesy of www.mrguitartech.com

If you put lower gauge strings (like the 8's) on your guitar, the truss rod will be "too tight", and the neck will look like the second picture (the back bow). If you put heavier strings on it (ex. 12's), the truss rod will be "too loose", and the neck will look like the first picture (the up-bow). A common setup would be the lower picture with a little relief.

WOOOOOOOOW

thanks for the effort :-k

i feel like somebody now haha

@egg

haha LOL

siggy addict [cool]

@rene

i put 8s.

then i put 10s again.

so my guitar is still "Back-bow"?

or did it return to normal?

Hi All, I am new here so be gentle.. I can't do a set up because I have a vision problem.. but I sure know when I need to have it done..

I have a few guitars, and I mainly play blues, but recently I have been getting into Rockabilly (I learned how to play blue grass as a kid, and can play a banjo)

Usually the set holds for me if I use the same strings... I only get a set done if I change the gauge or type of strings..

I have used one type of D'addario electric string that I liked.. They were half wounds.. Not quite flat.. they were pretty good on my Epiphone Dot ES335, and playing the blues...

Flat wounds to me can deaden out too quickly on the 4th and 5th string.. these half wounds brightened it up enough that more livelier blues sounded better than the flat wounds.. yet they are smooth enough to give true tone...

I always used slinky's for other things... until recently.. I don't play all the time, and I am a finger sweater when I do!.. So special coated strings cost more $$ than Ernie Ball.. but I hate stringing so a friend who a professional but really doesn't tour anymore... told me about Elixers...

So I have tried them, and I love them! On my Gibson 1950 archtop acoustic.. They have been on their six months.. still bright and lively... They did cost less than my last set of Martin coated that were suppose to last longer.. and didn't! I can't believe I paid 20 bucks for a set of strings! I don't play that guitar enough for that expense...

On my Dot, I have the Heavy/Lights... because I have been getting into rockabilly picking... the 5th and 6th strings are so deep yet clear, and the 1,2,3.. are singing with just enough twang.. or bend those notes up.. they are very bright and lively... and yes.. They last longer!!! They really do!!! They are about ten buck a set... I did break the 1st string... I have not broke a string in years... I seem to recall when packs of strings came with an extra 1st string...

oh.. and when I have my guitar set... it is about 30 bucks plus the cost of the strings.... Bliss I know this is of no use to you... but someone else may venture and have the same question...

WOOOOOOOOW

thanks for the effort :)

i feel like somebody now haha

@egg

haha LOL

siggy addict [blush]

@rene

i put 8s.

then i put 10s again.

so my guitar is still "Back-bow"?

or did it return to normal?

Did the buzzing go away? If so it's good. If not you'll need a setup. If I were in your position I would take the time to research and learn how to do your own setup. It's really not that difficult. The DIY thread has a lot of good info and links:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14775

Hi Bliss,

Hopefully putting the 10's back on has sorted your buzzing out.

Below is the response to my email to myaxe65 re set-ups in Philippines.

Dear eggmuffins,

Hi,

I am based in Davao but your friend can try bringing his guitar to Salonga in Raon I guess. They repair guitars I understand

- myaxe65

Don't know which island you are on, or where Salonga is, so dont know if this will assist you at all?

its like 4hours away from me [blush]

[land travel]

@topic.

i think i want an Alnico PUP just like slash?

hmm

@strings

i think ill get the ernieballs?

will gauge 11-46

produce any buzzing?

Archived