Gibson Brands Forums

Eliminating frett buzz myself.

alans056

Hello, it is my second thread in a short time I hope you don't mind.

I am willing to take matters in my own hand about fret buzz, and adjust the truss road myself!

Would you have any instructions ? Tips ? Is it really that hard ? Worth the risk ?

How do I know which case I have ?

neck%20relief.gif

Thanks! I'm sick of spending €40 for nothing at my guitar shop...

Look down the neck of your guitar from the large/body end - the strings are

a "straight edge". If neck has "upbow" you should see it, if it's straight, you

should see that, too.

HOWEVER: We have a section in the EPI LOUNGE called the

"Do it Yourself Thread". Go to Lounge, click on "DIY" thread,

scroll down to "Guitar Set-up/Truss Rod Adjustment", then

click on links and watch vids/read posts.

Should get you going in right direction.........

Next project already, eh?

A quick check for correct neck/truss rod adjustment is to fret the 1st fret with your left hand and the 15th with your right and look at the 8th fret clearance below the string. There should be 0 to .015" clearance between the 8th fret and the string. I usually do this with the 1st and 3rd strings. If you can't see the clearance, press the string against the fret with your finger or use feeler gauges. A capo on the 1st fret will free up a hand.

If there is no clearance at the 8th fret, the truss rod adjustment may be correct or there may be a back bow. Adjust the truss rod tighter to flatten the neck and looser to bow it back toward the strings. If there is no clearance at the 8th fret and no buzz, you are good. If there is buzz, loosen the truss rod slightly until you get clearance and experiment with various settings and bridge height to find the combination that works.

The truss rod should only be adjusted with the strings slackened. You can, however, loosen it under tension, but never tighten it while the strings are tensioned. You could strip the threads with the increased tension from the strings. 1/8 turn goes a long way. Adjust it 1/8 turn at a time and re-tension the strings for a clearance check and repeat. A small drop of oil on a tight truss rod nut is a good practice. Never try to move it if excessive force is required. Lube and let it sit for a couple of minutes and try again. Easy movements are the rule. NEVER overtighten or use excessive force.

Archived