Gibson Brands Forums

'96 LP humbuckers vs. '89 G-310 SG pickups?

Hello, I'm new here and so far I'm impressed with all the great knowledge and helpful comments I've read so far. I've just started learning to play in my ripe old age and have always been a huge fan of Malcolm & Angus Young's playing styles and sound. Hopefully some of you more knowledgeable members can help answer some of my questions.

I bought a used 1989 Epi/Gibson G-310. It was made in Korea and still has the original pickups on it (two Samick Vantage humbuckers with flat back covers). I was thinking about eventually changing out the pickups with a set of used humbuckers from a stock 1996 LP "Special Edition Les Paul Custom" (from the ad on Craigslist). Did they originally come with two Alnico Classic humbuckers with black covers? Not sure if they'll fit in my G-310. I'm on very limited funds and the price of $60 is doable.

Everything still sounds OK to my untrained ears but since my pick ups are about 21 yrs old I thought that maybe it was time. Should I even be concerned with this or just keep playing? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. Hope the pics help out.

My 1989 Epi/Gibson G-310:

mysg1.jpgmysg2.jpg

1996 Epi LP Custom humbuckers:

lp1i.jpglp2s.jpg

Hello' date=' I'm new here and so far I'm impressed with all the great knowledge and helpful comments I've read so far. I've just started learning to play in my ripe old age and have always been a huge fan of Malcolm & Angus Young's playing styles and sound. Hopefully some of you more knowledgeable members can help answer some of my questions.

I bought a used 1989 Epi/Gibson G-310. It was made in Korea and still has the original pickups on it (two Samick Vantage humbuckers with flat back covers). I was thinking about eventually changing out the pickups with a set of used humbuckers from a stock 1996 LP "Special Edition Les Paul Custom" (from the ad on Craigslist). Did they originally come with two Alnico Classic humbuckers with black covers? Not sure if they'll fit in my G-310. I'm on very limited funds and the price of $60 is doable.

Everything still sounds OK to my untrained ears but since my pick ups are about 21 yrs old I thought that maybe it was time. Should I even be concerned with this or just keep playing? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. Hope the pics help out.

[b']My 1989 Epi/Gibson G-310:[/b]

mysg1.jpgmysg2.jpg

1996 Epi LP Custom humbuckers:

lp1i.jpglp2s.jpg

Keep the ones you got. I wouldn't spend $60 for a set of Epi pickups, you'd be better off buying one good bridge pickup. BTW, are you sure the ones in your G-310 are the original pickups???

Jerry, yes, they are stock. My 310 had the same PUPs. They are NOT the same PUPs that come with a newer G310. They are the clear bobbin type, and if they are the same ones that came in my 94', they are downright awful. No sustain, no pinched harmonics, no tone.

Not sure if putting new pickups in a G310 is really worth spending the money, though. Maybe if you can find something really inexpensive that is better than those Vantages. I found a vintage Dimarzio Super-2 and X2N for $30 (for both) in a used guitar store.

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate your inputs. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on the Craig's offer. I'll just keep playing with what I got.

Jerry, I'm believe they're the stock ones but I'm not sure. I just got the info off of this website: http://epi.p3net.net/wiki/index.php/G-310

Do you know of any other sites that have info on early G-310 models?

Hey' date=' thanks guys, I appreciate your inputs. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on the Craig's offer. I'll just keep playing with what I got.

Jerry, I'm believe they're the stock ones but I'm not sure. I just got the info off of this website: http://epi.p3net.net/wiki/index.php/G-310

Do you know of any other sites that have info on early G-310 models?[/quote']

Check out Guitar Fetish for some good quality replacement pickups at reasonable prices. Humbuckers as low as $23 each.

I never saw the older Samicks with 2 mounting screws on the bass side of the pickup, that's why I asked. You'll probably have to drill a hole in the pickguard if you do decide to replace them.

I never saw the older Samicks with 2 mounting screws on the bass side of the pickup' date=' that's why I asked. You'll probably have to drill a hole in the pickguard if you do decide to replace them.[/quote']

Thats exactly how mine were mounted. two screws on one side and one screw on the other side. Yes, I had to drill out a hole between them to mount new PUPs.

Good to know, guys. I've been on the Guitar Fetish for hours. Had to get off there and focus on my playing first. I'll be back there again though.

Robin, I guess they are the same as the ones on your '94, since wiki stated they weren't changed over to the 700T/650R until '95. Oh well, I'll do what i can with what I have for now. Thanks again, guys.

Archived