Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone L-00 Mods

I'm playing the waiting game now for my L-00 and the tinkerer in me got to thinking about mods for it. So my question to those who own the Epiphone L-00 is what kind of mods (if any) have you done or plan on getting done.

I don't think I'm going to mod mine until I have spent some time with it in stock form so I can get a feel for what I want to change and what I don't want to change. So share your L-0 mods here.

I'm playing the waiting game now for my L-00 and the tinkerer in me got to thinking about mods for it. So my question to those who own the Epiphone L-00 is what kind of mods (if any) have you done or plan on getting done.

I don't think I'm going to mod mine until I have spent some time with it in stock form so I can get a feel for what I want to change and what I don't want to change. So share your L-0 mods here.

In the past, some here have suggested that the string-spacing in the nut could be expanded. If I were thinking of an L00, that's one thing I'd look into.

I replaced the plastic saddle with bone, but have not yet got around to replacing the nut. It wasn't imperitive to do either, as mine played well right out of the box. The bone saddle did help define the tone somewhat, though.

The tuners are excellent; no need to change those, imo.

Red 333

bloozeguy That was one thing that I was thinking about as well. I'm just going to wait and see how the stock spacing feels and take it from there.

Red333 I may do that at some point but again I'll wait and see how it is out of the box. Then again I have always said I was going to put a bone nut on my Esquire but never did until the plastic one broke and I had to get a new one.

bloozeguy That was one thing that I was thinking about as well. I'm just going to wait and see how the stock spacing feels and take it from there.

Red333 I may do that at some point but again I'll wait and see how it is out of the box. Then again I have always said I was going to put a bone nut on my Esquire but never did until the plastic one broke and I had to get a new one.

I've heard many say there's plenty of room to respace the strings if you want them further apart to play finger style easier. I'd say there's some wiggle room, but not a great deal. I wonder if they made these with different width necks in the past. Either that, or they began to cut the nut differently...

Red 333

The EL-00 that I just bought used had a custom nut put on. The person I bought it from said he couldn't handle the narrow spacing. He was looking to get into finger style playing. He had a custom nut made to widen the strings as much as the luthier thought practical. Luckily for me, it still wasn't what he wanted in a guitar. I got a great deal on it so he could order a DR model Epi. I believe he had it widened from a 1.63 to a 1.68 spaceing nut. I love it!! Dean

Archived