Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom "Warm-Up" Noise

Being new to these forums, this is my first post. Forgive me if I seem a bit ignorant, because the Blues Custom 30, albeit a fantastic amp, is the first piece of tube equipment I've owned. I've searched all over the place and have not found anybody with the same problem as me.

I've had my BC30 for nearly two years now, and the sound quality has always been unbeatable. Recently, however, the fan has been making a loud noise upon powering up. At least, I think it's the fan. This only lasts for about 2-3 minutes, which isn't a problem because I always let it warm up on standby for about 5 minutes anyway. The only thing that worries me is if the problem is more serious. Could it be a power supply issue? I know that it isn't just my outlets, as I've had it plugged in at various gigs with the same response.

I'd just like to know if anybody has any ideas. Maybe it's got something to do with the tubes? If nobody is absolutely sure, I'll get it to an amp tech ASAP and let everybody know for future reference.

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Most computer fan bearings can be lubricated. Find the spindle and add one (1) drop of mineral machine-lubricating oil.

The fan fitted to the BC30 is a low-noise computer type fan. Do not be inclined to disconnect it or the cathode resistor will burn up. Poor design has it on the heater circuit where it adds electronic noise.

One end of the spindle is between the fan and the motor, I can't remember whether the other end is exposed or has a paper cover label, or even has a felt oil-pad. Use one tiny drop of oil only on each end, suggest fishing reel oil.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older post. But did you ever get the fan fixed on your BC30?

Mine did the same noise when I fired it up, it took a few minutes till it went away. It really drove me nuts to hear that friggin whining sound. I went around looking for one in my area, could not find one, So I did some research on youtube on how to fix a whining cooling fan.all you need is a small drop or two off barber clipper oil, peel the sticker in the back of the fan to put oil in. It worked great for me and it's been 1 year 1/2. been working great with no issue.

• 3 weeks later...

The fan is actually a "low-noise" 12V computer fan. I've not seen one quite like it for sale, either wrong size or wrong voltage.

Oil the spindle. I use "fishing-reel" oil (handy hypodermic type dispenser) on the computer fans.

When I got my BC30 it was dead silent, because the fan was open-circuit. And the amp did get very hot! Do not operate without the fan. Poor design, the amp needs extra ventilation.

Archived