Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Height on a Sheraton II

dwe82

Guitarpicker,

Default from factory: Where ever they set them.

Where they should be: A matter of taste.

A good place to start: Press string at last (highest) fret. Measure from pole screw to bottom of string.

A good reference point is Neck pickup: 3/32" base and treble side.

A good reference point for Bridge pickup: 1/16" base and treble side.

Keep in mind that if the pickups are too close it can kill sustain and/or cause intonation problems.

Too far and they can sound weak. Once at a general height, individual pole screws can be adjusted although

I have rarely had to do that with humbuckers.

Willy

Thanks for the info, Willy. Last night I decided to play with the height of the pickup and now my guitar sounds like crap. I was hoping to set the pickup back to where it was before. I should have carved a little notch on it or something before I started adusting it. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the link, Willy! I also stumbled onto something from a former Gibson employee (can't recall his name right now, but he manufactures custom pickups nowadays), where he says you can measure by using the "nickel" trick. Place two nickels on top of the pickup, then hold down the string at the last fret. Adjust the pickup height until the bass string touches the top of the two nickels. Repeat using only one nickel, on the bottom of the pickup and the bottom string. I might give both methods a try, they sound like they'd be about the same.

Archived