Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar

EpiPlayerStL

Well I'll make it useful then. Here's mine for now. These are great guitars for the money.

++++++Edit: Just to clear up some confusion further down the thread- This is not the OPs new guitar. I just posted mine in response to Peter's post above while we wait for photos from the OP.++++++

DSC02091-1.jpg

When I bought MY LP Studio, there was no such option as an

LP Studio Deluxe w/ Trap inlays and Tulip tuners.

So, I upgraded my own STUDIO with Gibson 498T/490R pups and

Gibson Deluxe Tulips. Still has the "Dot" fret inlays, but to replace 'em,

I'd have to have the entire fretboard re-fretted

AFTER getting the inlays replaced. So, I'll live with it!

Gorgeous Guitars, wish they were around a couple of years ago.

WORN-BROWN LP STUDIO:

100_0495.jpg

100_0205.jpg

Hey, AF

That pickup set would make mine sound like as well as look like the 4X more expensive Gibby version, although I really like 490R/490T so may get those.

I'm interested in those Gibson deluxe tulips as, being used to the nice grovers in my other Epis, the Epi tulip machine heads are the only weakness in this guitar. Did you do any drilling and filling to put those new machine heads in or were they just a straight swap? Are they expensive?

Alan

Hey' date=' AF

That pickup set would make mine sound like as well as look like the 4X more

expensive Gibby version, although I really like 490R/490T so may get those.

I'm interested in those Gibson deluxe tulips as, being used to the nice grovers

in my other Epis, the Epi tulip machine heads are the only weakness in this guitar.

Did you do any drilling and filling to put those new machine heads in or were they

just a straight swap? Are they expensive?

Alan[/quote']

Regarding the Gibson Pups - I Ebayed the 2 sets of 498T/490R pups at average cost of $100 per SET,

rather than $100+ EACH. 1 set from 1992 Les Paul, other set from 2005 Les Paul.

Regarding the TUNERS, I've bought 3 sets from an ebay store called "The Stratosphere",

maintained by seller called "reliablefender". He USUALLY heavily carries FENDER parts, but

occasionally has Gibson Deluxe tuners for sale, obtained from parted-out LPs.

BcTKmDwBGkKGrHqYH-EIEqusW0BKz4bpqcy.jpg

I checked, right now he only has "GOTOH" copies at about $75.00 - Sheesh! I BOUGHT my

REAL Gibson Deluxe sets for around $35 - $40... Inflation.

It's been 2 years since I installed the Gibson tuners, but the original Grover screw hole

is either a direct line-up or is completely covered by the Gibson tuner. Can't remember which.

So, I did some checking - you'll be needin' to do a bit of ebay searching for best deal and

condition, BUT, a fast check found these (still a bit more $$$ than 2 years ago):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Vintage-Nickel-Tuners-Machine-Heads-Pearloid-Set-/130409890356?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e5d090234

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Deluxe-Vintage-Nickel-Tuners-Pearloid-Buttons_W0QQitemZ270600136914QQcategoryZ41434QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4712.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D190416042443%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7035025688144030999

But, they sure look GOOD! Save the Chrome Grovers for later use as

sale/trade or project guitar parts!

100_0468.jpg

100_0471-1-1.jpg

LOVE the color on this...I 've always had a thing for deep red' date=' wine red, etc.

Congrats on the new instrument!

[/quote']

Thanks, Tommy. I'm not the original poster but I have only had it a few months.

The colour is much nicer than I've captured in the photo as it was taken on a late winter evening so the light was getting dull.

I am very pleased with this guitar for the money it cost new.

Now that's cool!

Can you get just the tulips and put them on, say, Grover locking tuners like on my LP Tribute or do you have to replace the entire tuner? They'd be cool in chrome!

But' date=' they sure look GOOD! Save the Chrome Grovers for later use as

sale/trade or project guitar parts!

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/100_0468.jpg[/img]

100_0471-1-1.jpg

Thanks, AF.

I suppose most people put these in in place of Grovers to get a more authentic LP look. I already have the green keys as the Epi version but they're cheap looking compared to the Gibson ones. Also, the high E one is slipping and I'm currently awaiting a replacement from Gibson. Otherwise they hold tune well. I'll see how it goes when I get the new one. I've looked at prices in Thomann (I'm in the UK) and they seem comparable to what you're finding now in US$.

I think I'll just change the pickups and maybe the nut first.

Alan

Archived