Gibson Brands Forums

PLease help me identify this Epi LP Custom

clutch71

New Member here. Is this a Made In Japan LP Custom? Not sure if this is the real thing or a fake. The different head stocks are confusing. From the serial number it appears to be from 1989. The serial number being a sticker is suspect. Any info would be appreciated.

IMG_0910.jpg

Here's additional links to the head stock...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/clutch71/IMG_0915.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/clutch71/IMG_0914.jpg

ANy idea on the value if MIJ?

Here's my 92 MIK Samick Equipped with JB/Jazz.

blackbetty001.jpg

Even though the serial number indicates it's from Japan ie no letters?

Not accurate about the serial #s. Both the Epiphone Elitist and Epiphone Japan Les Pauls would begin with F for Fuji Gen. Also, Japanese LPs would not have paper stickers.

Epiphone Les Pauls were introduced in 1989 (maybe late 88), Orville by Gibson in Japan and Korean Epiphones. The first Korean models were made by Samick and had random serial #s on paper stickers. Engraved serial #s on the Korean LPs began in the early '90s, and factory code letters began around 1993 when Epiphone started using other Korean factories. BTW, Epiphones made after 2008 don't begin with letters either.

Orvilles & Epiphone Japan would have Gibson-style open book headstocks, and Elitists have their own design (a hump like Guild/Gretsch). Your headstock is typical of the early Samicks.

Bottom line, Peter is right on the money, it's an early Korean (Samick) model approximately 1989 - 1991.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I parted with it.

The headstock was kind of unique, but at the end of the day, I bought the guitar because I thought it was MIJ as advertised. The Korean black beauty from 92 is my go to guitar loaded with a JB/Zazz combo. I'm the type of guy that draws the line at certain similarities. 2 Korean made guitars in this case, in my collection.

Despite the fact that I own the 92 and a LP Traditional Pro I still want a MIJ Epi. I like the full size "open book" headstock.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what follows me home. Now I really know what to look for. Thanks alot!

That's a gorgeous LP, regardless of origin.

Lots of good info here...I wondered about when Epi started "clipping the corners" off the headstock. I like the current headstock, but THAT one is truly elegant...even though it's open book with corners, it still doesn't look EXACTLY like Gibby's, IMHO.

Funny...my Epi EB-3 SG bass doesn't have the clipped corners.

Archived