Gibson Brands Forums

help to identify my SG

BrownB

Hello to everybody, I'm a newbie in the Gibson world. I bought a 2005 SG Standard which should be a "1962 reissue", as told by the seller.....I took a look on Gibson site to identify my guitar with more precision, and I'm now a bit confused, so I'm asking here. Here are some details:

- the serial number is 051422, carved behind the headstock;

- the plastic "bell" on the headstock, usually marked with the "SG-1" stamp, on my guitar has the "Les Paul" signature;

- the machine heads are Grover;

- the body is a single piece of mahogany;

- the pick guard doesn't reach the half of the pickups, as 61 reissue.

What other details should I look at to recognize the model of my SG? It looks like a Custom Shop, and it could be I think. Thanks very much for help.

Ok I'll try to place photos, until then I've found that my SG is a "Les Paul" SG Standard Custom Shop, historic reissue, and I guess it's a 2005 Limited Edition, because it has not the classic 57 pickups, instead it mounts the 498. More details:

- the neck is attached to the body by a "saddle": the boy is somehow "longer" right under the first 5 centimetres of the neck, giving to it a "base" to make it more reliable and stable;

- the lateral conjunction ofthe neck with the body is a bit less high than the normal way: in this case, the wood of the body doesn't reach the keyboard, but stops 3 mm under that;

- the pickguard is the spiky type: on the horn, the spike of the pickguard is "long";

- the headstock shows the crown logo, and the keyboard has the trapezoid inserts;

- the electronic site is not shielded against electromagnetic field;

- the machine heads are Grover;

- the colour is a kind of Cherry Red, but is much aged and is really light and transparent, really beautyful;

I compared it with a new Les Paul SG Standard Historic Reissue in a shop, and all those details are the same, with the exception of the pickups (classic 57 for the shop guitar) and the machine heads.

As said before, I found in the Internet someone speaking about a "2005 Limited Edition" of the Les Paul SG Historic Reissue, but I haven't any clue about this at the moment...

• 2 months later...

Archived