Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera VC

thepinckpunk

Just looked up my serial number on the website and found out that I have a 97 model made in Korea. it has a cherry sunburst finish and has regular humbuckers, instead of the mini ones. Instead of dot inlays, it has trapezoid shaped inlays and the crown on the headstock.

does anyone have any other information on this model?

I see. Does anyone know what the VC stands for? I'm particularly curious to find that out. I'm assuming its all laminated maple, as i can see that the top is, and assume that the rest is as well.

Do the Rivieras generally have mini humbuckers vs. the standard humbuckers?

Does anyone know what the VC stands for? I'm particularly curious to find that out. I'm assuming its all laminated maple' date=' as i can see that the top is, and assume that the rest is as well. [/quote']

Vintage Cherry Sunburst

Epiphone Color Chart

Do the Rivieras generally have mini humbuckers vs. the standard humbuckers?

Yes' date=' the original 1960s Rivieras had minis, but the Japanese models made around the early '80s had full sized buckers. The original Korean reissues like yours also had standard humbuckers, but somewhere around the early 2000s they went back to minis like the originals and the Elitist Rivieras. The current models have 3 P-90s or P-94s (humbucker sized single coils). Rivieras with minis are available in Europe, hopefully they'll be available in the States in the not too distant future.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Riviera Limited Edition at Thommann

Archived