Gibson Brands Forums

Spirit vs Synapse

nevada

Hi all in steinberger land,

I am new here. I am really interested in buying a steinberger, but I have no experience with it.

My question is, should i start out with the spirit line, or is paying the extra $$ worth it for a synapse?

The ZT3 however is definitely way out of my budget.

Really appreciate any advice before i make my purchase.

Thanks!!

Hi Eagle

Thanks for your advise. Nevermind my username, i am not in America but in Malaysia, and i have no way of checking out any steins for real.

But i only just once tried one (don't know what model) and i really liked it, and now am looking for one.

Do you think its better getting a brand new synapse or search for used models instead? COme to think of it, Im kind of hesitant to get a synapse as i do use the whammy, and i was hoping to get to benefit from the supposedly very stable stein trems.

With a budget of US1000 (maybe just slightly more), what can i get? Or is this budget just too low?

thanks..

I would look for an old GR4 on Ebay ,$1000 should be plenty and if you get a nice old one (not moses necked) you will find it much better than anything they make now. The R trem can need maintenance after time but parts are easy to come by and you could always fit a TT or an XS trem at a latter date .

This one will probably go for around $1K

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-GR4-Electric-Guitar-GR-4-1993-USA-NR_W0QQitemZ280457479626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item414c9185ca

thanks for the advise, Eagle. As a matter of fact i did check out that guitar in the link. Guess i'll try going for a used stein instead of a new synapse.

if you dont mind me asking further, have you tried the moses necked steins and are they really superior to the phenolic fretboards?

The Original necks are vastly better in every respect IMO I have both . I also have some Moses strat necks and the attention to detail is lacking. If you are prepared to fret dress them and wet sand the necks to a better finish the Moses can be excellent.

thanks Eagle. i guess i'd look for the original necks

by the way i checked with the seller of that GR4 ebay advert which you pasted above, but the guy doesnt send to Malaysia...oh well, just have to continue my search.

thanks again for all the advise

Archived