Gibson Brands Forums

String Action Too High

SVTProIII

Hello : I recently purchased the Spirit (Entry_Level price $450 US) is sounds great. This was a store floor model and I grabbed it since I had another on back-order for over 2 months ...at .SAMASH . com) With free re-stringing and service its a good deal . It needed new strings and it had a buzzing on the D string 2nd frett. The service dept. solved the "buzzing" issue but now the action is too high. OK I can play it but what can I do on my own without taking it back to the service people right away. I used to adjust my old Fender Jazz bass's bridge but this one is totally foreign to me. I need to lower the action a little but not too much so as to start the "buzzing " all over again. Do players replace the original bridges, if so what are the new bridges. I love this bass but I need to learn much more......Please advise.....[cool]

There is a little grub screw on the side of the bridge that holds all the saddles in place .First you need to loosen that ,then the saddles can be moved carefully for intonation .In order to adjust the action you need to loosen the grub screws in the top of each individual saddle (just as on a Fender) when you get it right simply tighten the grub screw on the side again to lock it all in place. I suspect that you have a problem with the frets not being level thought ,or the neck is a little too straight (loosen the truss rod 1/4 turn.) If you fret a string on the first and twelfth fret there should be about 1mm gap between the string and the seventh fret.

No gap? loosen truss rod .Too much gap tighten until you get the 1mm . If this is not the issue then it will be the frets.(assuming the neck has no twists and is responsive to adjustments.

Problem solved, thanks. I found my allen wrench set, loosened the side screw and carefully lowered the action down but not too much.....Even though this is not one of the advanced expensive models I really love this bass. Sionce this just came from the shop, I guess they just eliminated the frett buzz and changed the strings. Each player likes the action a certain height. That's all for todaay , have a great Super Bowl Sunday.........!!!

Archived