Gibson Brands Forums

My New Firebird is noisy - what to do?

Jedi Grunge

I hope this is the right forum. I finally landed my much desired Gibson Firebird V, new, from Guitar Center. She's a beauty! But she's noisy. When I take hands off strings it buzzes. Get worse the higher the treble. When I switch, it crackles. None of my other guitars do this with the same amp and cable (tele, strat, Gretsch, J Bass). I took it back to the shop. They plugged it in to their rig, and the noise did not show up. We then tried my amp and cable, and the buzz came. We switched out the cable (still using my amp), and no noise. So I replaced the cable. Got it home, and the noise was back. Plugged it (and the rest of my guitars) into my bass amp, and the problem was less bad (but not gone). Should I live with it? Take it back and have them look at the ground? Do something else?

Thanks,

JG.

I hope this is the right forum. I finally landed my much desired Gibson Firebird V, new, from Guitar Center. She's a beauty! But she's noisy. When I take hands off strings it buzzes. Get worse the higher the treble. When I switch, it crackles. None of my other guitars do this with the same amp and cable (tele, strat, Gretsch, J Bass). I took it back to the shop. They plugged it in to their rig, and the noise did not show up. We then tried my amp and cable, and the buzz came. We switched out the cable (still using my amp), and no noise. So I replaced the cable. Got it home, and the noise was back. Plugged it (and the rest of my guitars) into my bass amp, and the problem was less bad (but not gone). Should I live with it? Take it back and have them look at the ground? Do something else?

Thanks,

JG.

If it's got the mini humbuckers, thats how they sound. Your gonna have to live with it. They're a little noisy but they sound great!

By the way, all pickups hum a little bit. Just some more than others.

My house is real old and wiring isnt grounded so I constently have a hum in all my amps. Sounds like thats what you got goin on. Dirty power

Yes. My house is on 6 acres, which is great for blasting it out. But I'm sure it was built and wired by a baboon. So I got a Furman to help filter out the noise. It's crazy that my tele, strat, gretsch, and J Bass all do just fine.

But maybe as @Rock 'N Roller pointed out, maybe that's just how these pickups sound.

If it's got the mini humbuckers, thats how they sound. Your gonna have to live with it. They're a little noisy but they sound great!

By the way, all pickups hum a little bit. Just some more than others.

Thanks. So I notice the noise kinda goes away when I go right into Logic or Garage Band, for recording my songs.

Archived