Gibson Brands Forums

question about 1997 Epi LP Studio

Mergz

How's it going? Hope you all are very well. I found a 1997 Epi Les Paul Studio at a general consignment shop (Furniture, jewelery, antiques, power tools, etc.) and it's $149.00. That seems pretty low to me, even for an Epi. On the headstock is a stamp from a guitar shop that sold it. I called the shop but they had no history. The thing played great, neck was straight, nice feel. Is $149.00 a good deal? I haven't been in the guitar market for a while so I don't know.

Thanks.

Chris

How's it going? Hope you all are very well. I found a 1997 Epi Les Paul Studio at a general consignment shop (Furniture, jewelery, antiques, power tools, etc.) and it's $149.00. That seems pretty low to me, even for an Epi. On the headstock is a stamp from a guitar shop that sold it. I called the shop but they had no history. The thing played great, neck was straight, nice feel. Is $149.00 a good deal? I haven't been in the guitar market for a while so I don't know.

Thanks.

Chris

If the guitar is in decent shape, I would say that's a fairly good deal.

Check to make sure there is not excessive fret wear. If there isn't, and it sounds and plays good, I'd buy it.

Some older LP Studios have a thinner body than the typical LPs. You can usually tell them by fret markers, they have parallelograms like a Standards rather than dot markers. If you like the way it plays, go for it...

I'm shocked it's not in your hands already!!! [biggrin]

A new Epi LP Special II will run $169.00 (considered "entry-level"

guitar), a new EPI Studio runs $349 - $399, depending on options.

If the git is in the condition you described, definitely worth the

$$$! Better sneak BACK to the shop and snag it before someone else

"accidentally" spots it.

It may be one of those "Right Place/Right Time" Deals?

And, of Course........... Pictures if you can grab it.

Archived