Gibson Brands Forums

Help finding the dream Gibson...

tone row

Fell in love with a CJ-165 (sometimes called J-165), tried to order one and it had JUST been discontinued. See attached pic:

GibsonCJ-165-300-1006.jpg

What I want:

- J-200 body, only smaller

- Vintage sunburst, sitka

- 14th fret, no cutaway EC

How can I find this? I'm heartbroken... help a fella... Also, is the J-185 about the same size as the 165, or bigger?

Many thanks in advance.

A couple weeks ago it disappeared from the Gibson.com lineup. In the last 3 days it has disappeared from Zzounds, Guitar Center, musiciansfriend, Sam Ash, Sweetwater and a few others, all of whom had it at $1,999 or similar. It's not on any of the top auction or used gear sites.

That model you linked to is (1) $3k and (2) not Vintage Sunburst. I'd say it's 50/50 at best that they even have it physically in stock, but that's irrelevant.

I hope I don't come off as demanding or unappreciative. I just dislike being condescended to. I would actually be deeply appreciative on any tips... heck, has anyone seen this in any local shops? I've called around the SF,CA area, but would always prefer dealing with small shops out there...

Thanks

Best you can hope for on a discontinued model such as that is ebay and scanning craigslist as well as leaving a note with all your local guitar shops to call you if one finds its way into their stock.

Update (in case it helps anyone else) Guitar Center/musiciansfriend/sam ash people essentially told me to forget about it.

Michael G. at Sweetwater and Stefan at Rainbow have been really helpful. None in stock but Gibson actually just now agreed to build me one... last... CJ-165 vintage sunburst. It will take 6-10 weeks, but heck, Gibson is going to be making me a guitar. And I'm not exactly named Clapton. It's really cool!

Lesson: there's still a place in the universe for real people who give a s#1t about what they do. As soon as it gets here from Montana, Gibson is going to get some thank you gifts from me. So great when modern companies show humanity.

s

Okay, Riverside, now you've really helped out. I'd googled and bing'ed extensively but didn't see run across that last craigslist one. I appreciate it. Thanks.

It's all good.

I googled "CJ-165 for sale". It took scads of introspection and thought.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Archived