Gibson Brands Forums

1955 Southern Jumbo Help

dweb1

I just recently came across a '55 SJ in pretty nice shape. FON starts with "W". Anyway the front is sunburst but the back is a reddish-cherry finish.Can't seem to find any good pics of a '55 on the web. Please help or send me pics if you have them right to my email: dweb1@cox.net

Thanks

Don

I just recently came across a '55 SJ in pretty nice shape. FON starts with "W". Anyway the front is sunburst but the back is a reddish-cherry finish.Can't seem to find any good pics of a '55 on the web. Please help or send me pics if you have them right to my email: dweb1@cox.net

Thanks

Don

That sounds correct. The SJ's and the SJN's [Country Western] had a red stain finish on the mahogany parts of the guitar. It's not unusual to see these that have faded to a light brown as well.

I have a 59 SJN that I can send a picture of later today if you want.

Frank.

Yes Frank Please do. I need to replace the pickguard with a period one also. Would a LG 2 guard fit on my SJ ? Same footprint .

Thanks in advance.

That sounds correct. The SJ's and the SJN's [Country Western] had a red stain finish on the mahogany parts of the guitar. It's not unusual to see these that have faded to a light brown as well.

Frank.

That would be a Southerner Jumbo.

There are a number of places out there that can make you a replacement pickguard. Check with Greven and Pickguard Heaven.

One of the keys to getting a good SJ is the top - look for a tight, even grain. If you are not familiar with old Gibsons (or old guitars in general) it would be wise to bring somebody along to look at the guitar who is. A good SJ will have a crisp upper end, pronounced mids, and tight and defined lows (especially a non-scallop braced model). Also be patient. It sometimes takes a bit to find the good stuff. The magic number for me was three (all made in the mid-1950s, all in roughly the same conditon and at the same price).

I have never seen a 1950s SJ with a red mahogany stain although I have seen that color on much older instruments. Although I know it is hard to get the color to come out spot on, if you could post a pic that would be cool.

Contact me by email for a pic. dweb1@cox.net

Thanks

I have never seen a 1950s SJ with a red mahogany stain although I have seen that color on much older instruments. Although I know it is hard to get the color to come out spot on, if you could post a pic that would be cool.

Archived