Gibson Brands Forums

FS: 1940 Gibson L-7 Archtop (blonde)

norseman40

After much deliberation I have concluded that my 1940 Gibson L-7 Archtop needs to find a good home. Because of a bad shoulder I am not able to play a guitar with a 17 inch lower bout. I am the second owner of this guitar. It is in excellent condition. This is a blonde version (which is somewhat more rare than the sunburst models of the 1940 L-7) with an adjustable truss rod. There is some checking in the finish, but no cracks anywhere in the body - front or back - good frets, straight neck and nice low action. The sound is exactly what you'd expect from a vintage Gibson. The body is hand carved northern maple with air seasoned spruce top and rosewood fingerboard. The original pickguard was replaced by a noted luthier (Jim Grainer, Sparta, TN) who told me this guitar has the original finish, probably with some overspray in a few spots - he wasn't certain. He also repaired the binding on the headstock for me. Jim said the original tuners had been replaced with age appropriate Kluson tuners. I am not a vintage guitar buff so that is about all I can offer by way of basic information. This L-7 comes with an excellent TKL case (not original, of course) that fits the guitar perfectly. Three independent appraisals of this guitar placed it in the $3300-3800 range. I'm asking $3275 (plus shipping). Anyone who is interested can contact me at laharris at pemtel dot net. Thanks.

Photos can be viewed at:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/norseman40/Gibson%20L-7%20album/

Archived