Gibson Brands Forums

I was sort of surprised

BSAKing

I have a number of guitars here, but I must admit, my Epi Joe Pass (96 Samick flavor) is my preferred. It sits next to a Gretsch 6120 and I almost always choose the Pass.

Lately I have been looking into an Epi Emperor and after reading up a bit about them, went to the local guitar store to try one out.

While a nice guitar (2008 vintage), I was sort of surprised. I was expecting it to have a lot more stand alone volume and presence than the Pass, but that was not the case. Obviously a lot has to do with string choice and familiarization, but like I say I was sort of surprised. I had expected a large difference in favor of the Regent. I play a lot unamplified, so it was that stage setting that I tried, not jacked into an amp at all.

I also found the neck, while not objectionable, a little "blockier" than the Pass.

Overall a very nice guitar, but now I am not sure it will get me where I want to go and the Pass may be an actual better choice to stick with.

I'll have to try it out again - maybe an earlier model if I can find one. Just to see if there are any differences that way. I know I have two Sheratons and I prefer the earlier one to the more recent build year ... Again - neither is a bad guitar - au contraire. It is just that there are differences, albeit subtle between them. Maybe the same applies to the Emperor lines.

Have you checked out the new Swingster? I understand it's based on the Joe Pass; kind of a cool looking guitar. I prefer the thin bodies myself, hence my Riviera, but I'd be curious as to how you think the Swingster compares to what you're looking for.

Cheers

Thanks for the review.

I've been drooling* over the Regent.

Thought it would be a nice compliment to the '06 JP

& my '05 Gretsch WF.

I'm still looking for the same body style with one or 2 miniHBs.

Have you seen, or even considered a Kona?

There's a KE(something) black/gold model that seems like a reasonable ticket.

(note: *drooling= GAS without revenue) [crying]

Archived