Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Musax

Archtop guitars, Strings guage, and action height. I"m new to my Es 175 and feel lost in the world of strings. At the moment I have 12's and I feel as if my action is too high. Endless debate I know and perhaps an old thread someone could point me towards would help. Honestly Uber low action seems to be calling me right now as I would like a bit more speed in my lines. Anyone have any other ideas? SOme say the whole low action heavy string is not the best, and that wiht the height of the action and a lighter string you actionally get more resonance and tone. AHHhhhhhh!!! I just wanna play. Are light strings a mistake? I do love a fat sound for my high notes.

.....At the moment I have 12's and I feel as if my action is too high....

This sentence seems to say it all. I can't understand why there would be debate.

I give you permission to lower your action to the point that you feel you are playing at your best. And likewise use a string gauge that suits - roundwound or flat.

There will be no charge.

RN

I have a 165 (single PU 175 basically..) Crippled with a broken tail piece for now but that is another story.

I use 14s. For my tiny little-girl like hands low action is a must. I play mostly jazz and use roundwounds *GASP*!!

My 2cents is this: When you change string gauges there are three things you need to know how to do. Set your action,set your trussrod and set your intonation.

Action and intonation are only slightly more complicated than adjusting the mirrors on your car. Google it, youtube it. Ask us questions, we are here to help.

Truss rod is slightly more dangerous. More like changing a tire on your car. A little common sense (DONT FORCE IT) and you will be fine. Again: Not sure? Ask.

Even if you dont change string gauges these 3 things should be checked from time to time.

Intonation changes with the age of your strings.

Action, well that maybe doesnt change so much. I change mine often. I set it high and on lazy days I lower it. Then I jack it up again just for fun.

Truss Rod, changes in humidity will require minor tweaks. (in Canada that is about twice a year, winter and summer)

Ok. So my point is. Armed with the above knowledge you can go out and buy almost any set of strings and put them on and make them play their best on your guitar.

Want to try 13 roundwounds? No problem. Switch to 10s Light top heavy bottom? A little tweak here and there and you are ready to go. Any string you want to try is yours.(if you go TOO heavy it may not fit properly in the nut... if so, take it to a tech to have the slots widened slightly)

Strings cost a fraction of the price of a new pickup, are easy to switch, and have a huge impact on tone and playability of ANY guitar. Why more players dont scrutinize their strings I dont know.

Good for you standing up and saying .. what did you say? I have been writing so long I forgot..

Thx man. One last thing.....Heavy strings are conducive to getting that action real low? And when turning the trussrod, one perhaps cranks a quarter of a turn? Something subtle like that?

String gauge will have some influence on how low you can have your strings but not a lot.

It sounds like you need a setup and maybe some work on the nut. Would you think about taking your guitar to a decent tech? If not, like Sam says, there are plenty of how-tos on the net - or you can buy a book.

RN

• 2 weeks later...

After 20 years of playing several guitars, I still have not figured out which strings sounds and feel right. On the following guitars, I've searched high and low and finally settled on:

L5: 12 D'Addario Chromes

356: 10 D'Addario EHR310

346: 10 D'Addario Chromes

LP: 10 D'Addario EXL110

I've tried every string manufacturer out there. I tried different guages from 8-14. On my 346 (PJR) I change PU(s) as well.

Personally, I don't think guitar players are ever happy with our sound. It's a work in progress.

Jazz

[cool]

Archived